PH Question

kylejmorrison

Its not really necessary unless you're having fish problems and need to check your water parameters. Just as important are Ammonia and Nitrate tests.

If you do 20% water changes once a week, you shouldn't have any problems.

I've had good experiences with Aquarium Pharamcuteculs (spelling) like http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pets-animals/Fish/Water-treatment/auction-70239537.htm but I recommend getting the Freshwater Master Kit not just pH. Its about $50-60 though.

The kit you linked to, I've used before, and found it too annoying to read.

Oh and almost forgot, dont use pH up or down liquids. If your pH wont stay stable, you need to raise the water hardness a little bit, a small handful of coral sand normally does the trick, or a shell, or small piece of limestone. A stable pH is more important than the correct pH for most fish, as long as you're in the 6.5-7.8 range everyone should be happy.

I wouldn't bother unless you start having problems. Most LFS will test your water for a couple of $.

It's one of those things the shops love to sell you but once you have tested the water for a few weeks you realise it doesn't change, other than when cycling the tank, and you know if your cycling anyway and that it will take a couple of weeks, so why waste money testing to tell you what you already know.

i dont bother about ph much personally, if your kh is stable (dont bother buying a kit unless your kh is low, your LFS will do a base test for ya, above 3 degrees is fine) then your ph isnt going to change much, the only reason i use mine is to see how my shell grit is affecting my kh and ph because i very unstable water.

it is best to get a base reading done of your tap and tank water to see what your working with but as you get more confident with your fish keeping you will eventually use it less and less especially if your water isnt super soft. i like having kits on hand though, sometimes you will want to test at 11pm and shops arent open then and as caryl said you check your water first if something doesnt look right so if you have those kits you will be able to potentially rule out any water problems quickly.

I used to have one at the start which I did need to use & it came in very handy.

After years of fiddling....finding out our water is stable.....I haven't used one in years.

As stated earlier, pay to find out what your water is out of the tap. Carbonate hardness is one that needs to be tested.

Ph will vary with wood, substract...especially in new tanks, these levels can be unstable.

For me, I would have an el-budgeto one, just so its there. They are pretty cheap. So why not.

Frenchy :D

I agree with a few things said here

I personlly reccomend that people buy a test kit as its best to know your water is fine then to take the shops word for it

I dont trust any ones tests with water quality as its to easy to misread

Also as said as well its always the time u need to know what your water is like when the LFS is shut or you cant get there

There is a shop close to me that I know misstest customers water as to onsell products and to blame them for fish deaths

Yes your KH reading affects your PH reading but its still better to have ur PH close to the right level as well

Discus dont like PH of 7.8 and Lake Tangs dont like 6.5

Some fish will like this range but not all

Tanks that are established still can change very quickly and its alot easier when you know whats wrong with your tank

I say buy a test kit and test your water fairly often

Brad

I used one when I first started but like most don't bother now unless I have a problem.

I have noticed though that once your tank is established, if you have a large piece of bogwood in it, the water can get more acidic, so just something to watch for, but easy to fix by doing a few water changes every couple of days, that will bring it back into line without resorting to chemicals.