Native fish

when

I have been given to job of setting up a fishtank in our reception at work. Having a fair bit to with streams we thought it would be nice to set up a tank with natives. I have kept plenty of tropicals before, but would appreciate any advice on how to keep natives, esp. bandeds.

-when

I tried catching a bunch of little bullies? from a river near here. They died in a couple days.:( I think too much ammonia built up in the little tank, even though there were only half a dozen tiny little fry. I guess I shouldn't have tried to feed them a variety of food.

One consideration may be how temperature tolerant are our natives (I'm not sure). Is a warmer water temperature during summer going to cause problems. (You may want to review the discussion going on in the Saltwater Section under the topic of Cold Saltwater).

The section on how to keep natives in a tank is under construction! But, there is good information about the ethics of collecting natives, what to feed them and a good link to native aquarium plants.

Thanks for the link - it will be a very useful site when complete.