low PH fix?

Doug

from what i know you add a small amount and wait till the ph settles and if you still want a higher ph you add a little more - you follow this process until you have the desired ph.

You dont add all at once otherwise fish might get ph shock

thats what i remember reading - i might be wrong

:bounce:

Yea Fishkeepa's on to it. You add in to your filter or get an old stocking and hang that in your tank. You can use baking soda but it rapidly shoots the pH up and you have to add in what you take out. Shell and grit much more constant and buffers your water (makes it less likely for the pH to crash)

You can buy crushed (small pieces ) of oyster shell from your local fish shop. This can either be added to your filter in a media bag or scattered into your gravel. This will raise your PH. The shell does break down over a period of time and you will have to add more if the shell is gone or the PH goes up again.

I had the same situation with low PH due to the huge driftwood in my tank and I added about 3 table spoons into my external filter in a media bag and it has kept pH 7.0 constantly for months.

I have heard brid grit does the same job, see how you go.