green anemone???

Loopy

Hi team.

We have just moved our 500+ (yes we counted them) siamese bubbas to a new tank because we saw a strange looking plant type thingy going for the fish. It looks like a green anemone with about 6 feelers. When it contacts a fish it "grabs" then withdraws into its tube. They are very small being about 5mm with feelers out.

Anyone have any ideas on what these are really called and how to kill them?

Will try to take a pic as we have just noticed them in the new tank. They must have come in to it with the transfer water.

:cry: We spent ALL afternoon setting up a new tank and sorting the babies into it so we could clean the infested tank. Don't tell me i gotta do it AGAIN???!!! Arrgghh :o isn't there another way????

I am having an ongoing arguement with hubby about where they may have come from. :roll:

Oh hardy har ha Caryl!! :lol:

Hydra only seems to appear in fry tanks being fed brine shrimp nauplii or similar live foods. They don't seem to appear in fry tanks that are fed primarily a dry or liquid diet. However, once you start feeding large amounts of brine shrimp nauplii, it isn't long before hydra appear, often in enormous numbers. They are usually tan or brown in colour and are not readily seen against a background of natural coloured gravel or on plants. Usually you don't notice them unless a heavy infestation has become established.

Hmmm... Yes, the babies tanks are bare bottom. And we have been feeding oodles of brine shrimp to the wee gluttons.

Linky to read more.....http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/Hydra.htm

Watch your fish LOTS!

I stare at my fish till my eyes go funny :o

Observe their behaviours. Watch how the female and male interact at different times during the day. I also have never had much luck with keeping the female in a breeder trap (the "usual" method)

I set my tank up and throw the fish in and early the next morning they do their business. I usually get up and go to check all the fish and find them already well into the whole process.

And lots and lots of infusoria and brine shrimp. and watch your babies too.