Cichlids for me

meesheelly

Ok so i now have the space to do a cichlid tank. I am currently searching for a 4ft tank, so that is nearly sussed.

I have narrowed it down to malawis or american. But i am not sure on avalibility and prices. Any recommendations. I am leaning towards mbunas.

Next, substrate and rocks. I have read about dolomite and argonite and coral sand. What will be the best and easiest for me to get? And where do i find it (perferably cheap). Also i need to find some rocks to go in the tank, is limestone good, anything else? And once again where from?

Thank you in advance for your wonderful help. Fish people are great!

Set up is all up to personal choice. I use riversand{1mm} in my tanks. Looks natural & its heavy enough to gravel vac.

I would go Africans, easier to mix & match species. Can fit more fish in the tank to. But once again personal preference :lol: If you go africans some sort of buffer is good.

Decorate the tank however you like, you are the one looking at it.

Frenchy:D

alot of americans are larger (round 30cm) so they might not be a good choice if you wanted a tank with quite a few fish. jack dempsies are neat, they get around 20-25cm and are really stunning. you would be able to have more fish in the tank if you went with malawis i think.

Hutt River has rocks, lots and lots of rocks. Although slate is my favourite, haven't found it down here yet :(

Gravel can come from lots of places. Stores like Bunnings, Mitre10 etc stock some fancy gravels, and you'll find it in bags in the gardening sections (outdoors). I've got a black chip in my planted tank, cost about $60. In my other 4 footer I used a $40 (20kg I think) gravel bag (pebbles basically) from hutt pets, and in all the other tanks I used sand (which is a LOT cheaper).

All up to your taste what you use tho.

I've used a dark pebble substrate with dead coral rocks. The rocks keep the pH at around 8 and the contrast against the dark gravel is great.

The rock didn't come cheap.....I got it from a LFS for $10/kg and I've used 15kg in a 4 footer....but it looks fantastic with lots of nooks and crannies for the fish to dart in and out of.

• 2 weeks later...

I was going for whatever i could that would naturally buffer the Ph. So its limestone rocks, and when i was at the landscape place thay had the pipes so i though thay would help make some caves. I also got a bag of limestone chip for my gravel. I was gonna get limestone sand but i thought it would probably cloud the water too much.

I have 3 auratus, 3 kenyis and 3 kadangos. And im getting some zebras tonight.

:D