who has axolotls???

obie trice

hey all

just wanted to see who out there has axolotls...

i brought 3 when i was about 10 yrs old (im now 27), and only one has died so far which was about 2 weeks ago. it got bloated and then eventually died. not sure why but it was old so it had done its dash anyway...

had a long life...

i love em, have five (two leucies, a wildtype, golden albino and albino) :)

a 17 year old axolotl is really something to be proud of so well done! they generally only live 10-15 years so i would probably put the bloating down to age. i hope the remaining oldies hang in there for quite some time :bow:

Hi,

I used to have about 11 of them and only ever had one swell up and die. Our axolotl book says there are a few possible causes. There may be genetic factors, carriers of genes for anemia, heart irregularties and kidney insufficiency are prone to such problems. It says it may also be a bacterial infection but if your others are fine I wouldn't think so and you must take really good care of them to have had them that long. I would go with the last one which is because they are so old it might have had a kidney malfunction (Book: Axolotls Care & Breeding in Captivity by Peter W. Scott). I never had stones with mine so I don't know about that.

We have 10, (5 leucies, 5 wildtypes). Ours aren't as old as yours tho, 4 3yr olds and 6 11mth olds and we only got them round Nov last year, Jan & Mar this year. But what an achievement, :o 17 years, you obviously did something right for them to live as long as they have! Sorry, about the axie that died tho :(

• 2 weeks later...

i let my albino in with my four adults yesterday and managed to trigger a breeding frenzy (with my albino leading the way!) :lol: i have four males and one female (aint that just bad luck lol) and was really hoping my female would get the gist of things and pick up the little volcanoes but she didnt from what i can see :(

im hoping that Odin will continue to drop prezzies and hopefully ill get a few albino bubbas if my female catches on to what shes supposed to do :lol: i have searched quite alot and i beleive we only have one lovely lady in the country that has axies that produce albino offspring (who my little man came from) so it would be nice to get a few more out to the country

i let my albino in with my four adults yesterday and managed to trigger a breeding frenzy (with my albino leading the way!) :lol: i have four males and one female (aint that just bad luck lol) and was really hoping my female would get the gist of things and pick up the little volcanoes but she didnt from what i can see :(

im hoping that Odin will continue to drop prezzies and hopefully ill get a few albino bubbas if my female catches on to what shes supposed to do :lol: i have searched quite alot and i beleive we only have one lovely lady in the country that has axies that produce albino offspring (who my little man came from) so it would be nice to get a few more out to the country

Hiya Sharn, any luck yet?

I'd love to have a golden axie or two. Might have to extend the house a bit tho.

If your axies do breed will you just sell in your local area or sell round the country as well?

sure is (i am so so so so proud of him :lol: ) i got mine of Rebecca when he was really little, only just had his legs. she is the only person i know of in the country that has a pair that produce albinos, the one in aucks zoo came from her and the two others i know of came from her. seems they arent as hardy as babies for some reason but once they get larger theyre as hardy as any other colour.

my four males start bum nuzzling and laying prezzies after every w/c and sometimes after a feed but the female is just too slow :( my albino is the only one laying which is good but the female just doesnt wanna know, im not sure if they will get the hang of it all after they do it a few times or not but im hoping something will happen one day soon

kapo- if i ever got babies i would be keen to ship a few when they got larger.

id cry for days if he ever tried to morph (im against artificial methods to make them morph), they nearly always die and i cant say i find the morphed ones too attractive :lol: i would assume he would stay albino, as far as i know they cant change but it would be one interesting looking sal thats for sure :lol:

my cameras pretty crappy but i'll see what i can do :)

• 2 weeks later...