-
Light Yellow Transparent Tadpoles.
Like ID said they vary green/brown to dark green/dark brown. Both frogs in the photo could change to match each other either way. If the southern bell frog hides under a log it will likely be a dark shade of green or brown. Or if it's baking in the sun it will likely change to thee light green colour you see on the left frog. See ID's photo (link in his post) to see how the green and brown varies from light to dark. Where as the yellow ones are an albino variation he has bred.
-
Light Yellow Transparent Tadpoles.
whistler tadpole with large back legs, collected as a young tadpole in December One of many whistling tree frogs which have morphed in the last couple days Two tadpoles side by side, left is a whistler tadpole, on the right is the unknown species of the light yellow transparent tadpoles what this thread is referring too. As you can see very different in colour however no red eyes... ?
-
Light Yellow Transparent Tadpoles.
Posting photos, if it doesn't come through I will try again tomorrow.
-
Light Yellow Transparent Tadpoles.
On the coast of Manawatu. I have identified the whistling tree frog, green and gold bell frog as well as the southern bell frog in my particular area. You are right, the litoria aurea is usually only found in the far north of New Zealand as well as rotarua, I suspect that it was introduced to this area and thrived in the coast heat and abundance of food and habitat
-
Light Yellow Transparent Tadpoles.
I noticed that unfortunately they do not have red eyes which would have signalled albino golden bell frogs. What does the term Lutino mean? A mutation in colouration?
-
Light Yellow Transparent Tadpoles.
Hi all. For many years I would collect both Whistling Tree Frog and Golden Bell Frog Tadpoles from a pond near where I holiday on the coast of Manawatu. There would always be small dark brown/black tadpoles in spring from the whistlers which breed in the winter there or larger green/brown tadpoles through to end of summer. I collected many whistling tree frog tadpoles in early December 2014 for my small pond enclosure at home in Wellington. After visiting this same pond again start of 2015, the pond has been absolutely dug away and a larger swimming pool sized pond has been dug. I was then told by locals that these were dug by the forestry in case of a fire, so helicopters could fight a forest fire with monsoon buckets. At first I was very disappointed to see an entire pond ecosystem pushed aside into a sand dune. Until closer inspection. As I went down the steep slope of the newly dug pond I realised the edges were teeming with tadpoles. The water was warm/hot too. Note to my question. These tadpoles in colour are a very light yellow and transparent. More so than golden bell frog tadpoles, although only small and hard to identify. I have one thought on the colour of these tadpoles, with the newly dug pond the is no water vegetation and very few plants at the edges (at the moment, soon they will grow through) as a result the pond is exposed to direct sunlight all day. The pond base and sides is all a pale colored sand. Either: -the whistling tree frog tadpoles have changed color to avoid being predated on -the golden bell frogs have spawned early and again the tadpoles have changed colour to blend into their environment. -or highly unlikely there are albino frogs in the wild at this location If anyone of these stand true I greatly look forward to see the resulting colouration of the frog. Whatever species it is. Time will tell, I will keep you all posted. If any of you could shed some light on this for me I would greatly appreciate it, other wise I hope you enjoyed the read. Photos to come too!
- Tanked
- Tanked
-
Spring is here
Just a 90L fish tank full of em
-
Post your reptile/amphibian photos
FACEAnthrax: what amazing pattern around the eye on that beardie, the white bits so cool!
-
Lutino Frogs?
aotealotl: oh yes, how i would love a red eyed tree frog! Let alone a lutino morph With albino bells im sure many people would love to pay only $20 for one (except for those that already have them, and are looking to make a fortune) they will at first but eventually like u say, the price will come down!
-
Lutino Frogs?
WOW i knew they weren't cheap, but $1500! any impulse buyers ? how commen are these btw? heres the trade-me link: http://www.trademe.co.nz/pets-animals/o ... 022279.htm
-
Native New Zealand Plants and Golden Bell Frogs?
im sure u will get a lot more responses if u post this in the reptile and amphibians board, plus some photos would be great. peace lily is good, ferns also work and look nice but wont support under the weight of a mature bell frog! mosses and vines can be used.
-
Spring is here
F15hguy: if u were reffering to me, they are whistlers. I know this because seven have changed into frogs, and they are definitely whistler's.
-
Spring is here
not too early as i collected spawn from whistling tree frogs in early july! although they seem to breed any time of year
nznatives
Members
-
Joined
-
Last visited