How small are Fundulopanchax gardneri babies?

Kim&Dan

We have a trio of Fundulopanchax gardneri and I am pretty sure they've been spawning lately :D

They are housed in a small very heavily planted tank (it's basically a jungle in there! :lol:) - they seem to love it! There's a sponge filter, a small heater keeping the water at 23-24 C and we've been feeding them lots of bloodworms, dried bloodworms and flake food. Obviously this setup is not ideal for breeding them as it is basically impossible to get the eggs (especially not even knowing what the eggs look like... :-? ). Maybe I should change the setup...

Now to my question: Just before the light went out last night I am pretty sure I saw a tiny tiny wee killie - it was a millimeter in lentgh at most! You could barely tell it was a little fishie - it was as wide as a fishing line is... really tiny! But I am pretty sure judging from it's jumpy behaviour and its shape that it is a baby. I tried to catch it but it was too small and went through the net... Are the Killie bubbas this small?? :o

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

You prolly didn't see it's tail, so if you have only the trio in there you may have babies.

When did you put them in, like, how long have they been together in there.

They normally don't hop along either they can swim as long as it wasn't a prem hatching.

Use a length of airline to capture it by syphoning.

Never heard of trying to NET a baby, in fact if you did get it in, it'd prolly go straight thru the mesh.

Often that type of setup is used for breeding Dan, it just means you'll have to wait for the babies to be seen near the surface, and you WILL suffer losses thru the parents having a free meal.

Alan 104