Dinoflagellates

puttputt

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I did do and month or so ago, is hav a bit of a spring clean in the tank, removed macro algae, shifted rock and blew everey bit I could reach with a hose from a power head clean, shifted alot of accumulated much around.

Now, presuming some settled in nooks and crannies, as opposed to being skimmed, then the slime would be feeding on this at the moment.

Once it has used this source, then it should stop growing??, would vodka or the like help reduce this short tern food source quicker, as i don't believe it is a continual nutrient issue.

What do you think.

Maybe a phopahate remover.

It won't help. The phosphate has to be in the water to work.

Now, presuming some settled in nooks and crannies, as opposed to being skimmed, then the slime would be feeding on this at the moment.

Once it has used this source, then it should stop growing??, would vodka or the like help reduce this short tern food source quicker, as i don't believe it is a continual nutrient issue.

The thing is that if it had been sitting on the rock for a while then the rock can absorb the nutrients.

Then it takes time for bacteria to migrate this out of the rock again. But for this to happen, the rock surface has to be kept clear of detritus, and water has to be kept clean.

I'm not suggesting ripping the tank apart. Just pay careful attention to the spots where this stuff is, and blow them out with a powerhead regularly, until they clear up.

Layton

Do you dose amino acids? an overdose of that can cause something like you describe. Although stirring up the detritus may have contributed also.

Something like Rowaphos will help but does cost.

Vodka and vinegar will both help here is some info on them:-

Vodka http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthrea ... ight=vodka

Vinegar http://www.reefscapes.net/articles/bree ... asser.html

The vinegar article is excellent but does not fully touch on the benefit of it to bacterial filtration, but there is a benefit.

to be fair cracker you did cook all your rocks and nuke all that bad algae when you upgraded though so you set yourself up well from day one. im definately going to boil up a stew with my rocks mainly the ones in the middle full of crud! argh it's frustrating.

I'm glad this came up, I've had a cyno problem for a while now, checked my reactor CO2 feed and found I had a leak. Fingers crossed my problem will go away now. Had tried vodka, extra flow, have just started biodigest, was running out of options!

to be fair cracker you did cook all your rocks and nuke all that bad algae when you upgraded though so you set yourself up well from day one. im definately going to boil up a stew with my rocks mainly the ones in the middle full of crud! argh it's frustrating.

Bro, Ive never cooked my rocks or boiled them...

Dont know where you got that one from.

basically, but you need to do it for about 4-8 weeks and it must be in complete darkness. shake/swish/swirl the crap outta the rocks (literally) in a few temporary buckets. put the LR in an aerated and heated drum/tub but ensure there is no light. change the water every week and shake the rocks in between each change. the smell will make you dry reach! thats the basic principal. the bacteria stay alive, the algae dies.

just started biodigest

Keep us posted on that one please.

I am going to try it too.

I'm not suggesting ripping the tank apart. Just pay careful attention to the spots where this stuff is, and blow them out with a powerhead regularly, until they clear up.

Layton

I'm with Layton on this one, do it every night if you have to you will be suprised what crap comes out :o

I'm with Layton on this one, do it every night if you have to you will be suprised what crap comes out

yeah, i do the same, but where does it go? into the water column, then the majority settles straight back down where you just blew it from. its a never ending battle!

If it settles back down on the rocks, then you might want to add more flow.

:o i already have 80 times turn over, i think i'll remove some LR instead! just goes to show thats one big benefit of having minimal LR which seems to be quite popular these days :D

:o i already have 80 times turn over, i think i'll remove some LR instead! just goes to show thats one big benefit of having minimal LR which seems to be quite popular these days :D

I have approximately 145 times turn over and just get two nice little piles to vacuum up. Unfortunately, they are in the back corners. :-?

I actually think it is a little much since it is getting hard not to get direct flow on the corals as they grow. It's only short term though since the new tank that I'm putting together this year is going to be ~2000 liters and thus will only have ~35 times turn over with the current setup. Might have to get some of those Stream 6300's!! 8)

I run filter wool at the end of the overflow while I'm blowing with the powerhead and then leave it in pointing to the overflow for extra effect for awhile.

The main tank is cleaner than it has ever been at the moment but I have trouble in the cube with the red caleurpa collecting crap have reduced the amount growing to help this, don't really want to take the lot out cause I like it.

Just finished doing another big blow in both tanks before water change tomorrow couple of weeks over due because of the rain.

its not so much how much flow you have but how you have the flow setup in your tank. bb helps to :D

Turn over isn't a magic number, but still an indication of the ability to keep particles in suspension. Obviously there are diminishing returns and the max flow needed is just that for which dead spots are minimized.

Turn over isn't a magic number, but still an indication of the ability to keep particles in suspension. Obviously there are diminishing returns and the max flow needed is just that for which dead spots are minimized.

true