Salt baths

Krissie

Can someone please give me an 'idiot proof' run down on how to give a fish a salt bath.

I have a female Krib who is headstanding, and looks a little bloated. She is still in full breeding colours, so i'm guessing she is not 'sick' as such, and may be a swim bladder or constipation problem.

Have tried to get her to eat the peas, as required, but she is not eating at all.

Have also put a small amount of epsom salts in the tank, (1\2 tblspn to 20ltrs) but there are others in the tank with her that i don't want to dose up with salts.

So.... salt baths.... temp of water, how much, how long, things to watch out for etc.

Cheers

Peas are good for constipation, if you can get the fish to eat any. Cooked pea with the shell removed.

I don't think a salt bath does much for constipation or headstanding. Are you thinking of Epsom Salts?

Some people use plain salt as a general tonic.

I am finding different dosage rates for Epsom Salts. Two sites said to get the fish to eat 1 grain. Another said 1 tsp per gallon (but not sure if that is Imp or US gallons). Yet another said a 15 - 20 minute bath 1Tbs of Epsom Salts per US gallon (3.7L) and another recommended 1 Tbs per half a gallon (US). This lot came from a US oscar site...

Epsom Salt Treatment

Quickest Cure:

Feed a shelled pea. Peas are natural laxatives for fish. You may want to slightly blanch or microwave the peas for a few seconds to soften them up and remove the shell.

Quick Cure:

Feed a pea with a crystal of Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) in it to the fish. Epsom salts is a purgative. If that doesn't purge the fish, use one of the expanded methods below. Ammonia levels must be watched carefully.

Short Dip:

In a large container filled with water from your aquarium, add 1 tablespoon Epsom salts per gallon (this keeps water temperature constant for the initial part of the bath. Swim the fish in this solution for 1/4 to 1/2 hour or until stress shows or feces are released. Top the water up in the fish's usual container with dechlorinated water and return the fish to it. Change the water in about an hour to remove any feces and residual salts. Repeat daily until fish shows signs of recovery. Check for signs of bacterial infection or parasites for further treatment.

Medium Term Bath:

1 tablespoon Epsom salt per 5g, repeated every day for 3 days. Up the temperature to between 82 and 86 degrees Fahrenheit and monitor for two weeks. Increase aeration or surface agitation during this time of offset the lack of oxygen in the water due to the high temperatures. During this procedure do not feed. After the fish has recovered - feed a more varied diet including live foods as much as possible (crickets, earthworms, bloodworms, etc.) Check for signs of bacterial infection or parasites for further treatment.

Long Term Bath:

Add 1/8 teaspoon of Epsom salt for every 5 gallons of water. Up the temperature to between 82 and 86 degrees Fahrenheit and monitor for two weeks. Increase aeration or surface agitation during this time of offset the lack of oxygen in the water due to the high temperatures. Check for signs of bacterial infection or parasites for further treatment

for when i use epsom salts for constipation i use 1tbsp per 20L for tanks without scaleless fish (plecos, khulis, clowns etc), and 1tbsp per 40L for tanks with them. even the lower dosage seems to get most blockages thru bar severe ones.

is it not possible she is egg bound?

i have never done a short term bath for constipation, always in the tank but you would want to keep temp the same along with ph bla bla bla. if you saw something going wrong you would just want to remove her back to salt free waters. i would probably up the dosage to the ones above for starters if she looks like shell hold on for a while longer and you should see an improvement within 24 hours, if not youll wana look at trying other methods like the bath. removing her into a bucket etc is quite stessful and you probably want to try keep her as stressfree as possible while you try the less extreme methods first

good luck and let us know how she gets on!

had not thought about her being egg bound.... would she be 'headstanding' from that though?

am still trying to tempt her with the peas, and am not offering any other types of food.

She is in my 'Q' tank with 1 Angel, 5 Bleeding Heart Tetras, and her mate.

(anyone in Ak want a stoopid angel :roll: )

I did a google and the two main reasons i found for headstanding were constipation or swim bladder, so i am just assuming that is what is wrong with her.

I will try her in a salt bath tomorrow (epsom) and see how she goes.