ANGEL GROWTH RATES

smidey

Hi, I have four angels that I purchased in february as very small fish.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g183/ ... angels.jpg

These fish have grown well in the time I have had them. This pic below was taken at the beginning of july & they are 2 to 2 1/2 inches from the mouth to the start of their tail.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g183/ ... 54c666.jpg

Is this a normal growth rate for angels in five months? A friend has the same type of angels which are well over a year old (approx 4-6 months older than mine) but are still only half the size of mine. Also his tank has more litres & he has a few less fish in his tank.

Hi

Your angels are (as HummingBird says) appear to be normal.

I anticipate that when Mine spawn I can sell them at 16 weeks and they are about 50 cent (((THE OLD))) :lol: size.

My mature angels are breeding at about 4.5 cm body size.

Good luck.

:hail::hail: "The Angel Fish",, long may they reign

Hi, was wondering if you brought those from Northland Pet & Aquarium next to the $2 shop in Whangarei? Also did your friend buy their from that pet shop also?

Hi, yes I did. Think it was 4 for $10. He was given them as a gift but that was also a few months before I bought mine as 10c piece size.

Mine are fed on Brine shrimp Nauplii as soon as they free swim and they get it three times a day at least.

Water changes are "COMPULSORY" and should have at least 10% changed morning and night.

By sticking with that system I have never had problems rearing Angels.

Good luck with your ones.

My AVATAR is one of my own breeding and is now a "stud fish"

Hi, those fish are from me! Yay, so nice to see them all grown up. I sold them so tiny (about 6weeks old) because was batch 2 was only a month behind them and there was a coupla hundred so I needed the room.

Mother: th_FemaleAngel.jpg

Father: th_MaleAngel.jpg

I start feeding brine shrimp as soon as free swimming also and try to feed at least 3-4 times a day and do water changes before I feed. I found a good supply of brine shrimps is essential. I bought mine from someone of trade me (pyro262) or those little jars of eggs get too expensive really quickly. I have one shrimp hatch that I take from and another about a day behind the first one so just as ones finished the others are ready. Sadly the father to these died while I was away but she is a funny female and will pair up with any free male (on her third now).

Asking about your friends ones because months before I sold mine, our friend sold his in the same shop. There was about 80 and they had been kept in a 2ft tank and feed flake from birth. so they weren't very big for their age and they looked a bit tatty. If they look similar to the mother (top photo) then they are probably her siblings she is from the same spawn but taken away early to live in a big tank with no other angels so grew up fine with all her fins.

Hi northland chick, thanks for the info. it is quite surprising that i fell apon the parentage of my angels like this. How many angels do you breed & where do you send them? Is it a job or just a hobby? These are very well mannered fish (except when they are breeding) & even let my clown loach get close enough to give them a bit of a scrub before flitting off. Luck of the draw I got two males & two females which have paired off at either ends of my tank. they are also cheaky enough to give me a peck on the arm when it goes in the tank.

Hi Smidey, nice to hear from you and find someone else who lives in Northland. I had tried breeding angels (2ft tank) a few years ago but never had luck I got them to about 0.5cm once then ammonia spiked and I lost them all! But now I use a little compartment in our big tank, babies are able to find shrimp easy and it has a little filter in one end and I do water changes everytime I feed with water from tank they're floating in so its always about the same. I bred close to 300 from 2 spawns, I sent about 80 tiny ones down to Northland Pet apart from that I sold them thru trade me and our local paper. It's a hobby for me the pride from seeing your babies big is awesome! You did really well to get 2 pairs and their mother nails me if I dare put my hand in the tank at that time! I would think that breeding them together the babies will be silver with black stripes since the mother was inbreed at least 1 maybe 2 generations. She was going to breed with her brother but I moved him so she would go with black and white guy, I wanted her with him because he had one black one white whisker which I wanted to carry on. I just sold the last of them a little bit sad to see them go but I can always breed more. If you ever need any help MSN Messenger me. Kathy