Bloated Goldfish

Eden.M

I dont know what type of fish, these are kept at my work, and I mainly care for them, I took 3 weeks off, and in that time the other staff managed to overfeed to a disgusting amount, and allow the water to become filthy. They did contact Jansens pet shops about this, and were told to feed them just peas for a week, if this was right or wrong I dont know, but when I saw the fish (just one of them out of 4 is bloated) I just about threw up. He is bloated to the stage of being round, and it looks like his skin/scales has split in one area. The tank has been cleaned since all this occurred and other staff have told me that he was much worse last week ... I'm devestated over this, as this fish was the first of some bought by our bosses as an xmas present last yr, I was off work over that time, I came back to all the fish dead except one, nemo (yes I know corny name, but it suits him) he survived when all the others didnt, and for months everyone said he wouldnt make it, but I worked with them all, and gave them diff types of feeds, protein and vege and tetrafin flakes, and now I take time off and this happens. I'm devestasted, but not willing to give up on this fish, silly as it sounds, hes just such a fighter. I dont think he has dropsy or anything, I believe due to the food intake its indigestion. My workmates did the peas thing but I saw a thread on here which mentioned epson salts, and read elsewhere which talked about giving cooked greens such as spinach or fruit. What do I do to save him ? I dont believe its catching, the other fish are fine, and he had a minor case of this before which fixed itself. Please tell me measurements for Epson Salts, should he be seperate from the others while this is done ? I use tonic salt on them but I realise this is different. If I do cooked greens such as spinach or fruits what type should I use when it comes to fruit ? Sorry I know this is a very long email, but I've had all these awful thoughts running through my head, this poor thing looks as though he wants to pop, and its making me ........ :(

The fancier types of goldfish get bloated or digestive problems very easily. Hopefully, now you have cleaned up the tank, he will slowly come right. The peas are good for constipation, which he possibly has/had. Cooked pea with the shell removed.

Stop feeding him for 24 - 72 hours and see if he comes right by himself.

Then try feeding live foods if you can get any or soften his flakes or dry food in water first. A lot of dry foods swell up once wet so wetting them first ensures they are not swelling up further once he has swallowed them.

I am finding different dosage rates for Epsom Salts. Two sites said to get the fish to eat 1 grain. Another said 1 tsp per gallon (but not sure if that is Imp or US gallons). Yet another said a 15 - 20 minute bath 1Tbs of Epsom Salts per US gallon (3.7L) and another recommended 1 Tbs per half a gallon (US). This lot came from a US oscar site...

Epsom Salt Treatment

Quickest Cure:

Feed a shelled pea. Peas are natural laxatives for fish. You may want to slightly blanch or microwave the peas for a few seconds to soften them up and remove the shell.

Quick Cure:

Feed a pea with a crystal of Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) in it to the fish. Epsom salts is a purgative. If that doesn't purge the fish, use one of the expanded methods below. Ammonia levels must be watched carefully.

Short Dip:

In a large container filled with water from your aquarium, add 1 tablespoon Epsom salts per gallon (this keeps water temperature constant for the initial part of the bath. Swim the fish in this solution for 1/4 to 1/2 hour or until stress shows or feces are released. Top the water up in the fish's usual container with dechlorinated water and return the fish to it. Change the water in about an hour to remove any feces and residual salts. Repeat daily until fish shows signs of recovery. Check for signs of bacterial infection or parasites for further treatment.

Medium Term Bath:

1 tablespoon Epsom salt per 5g, repeated every day for 3 days. Up the temperature to between 82 and 86 degrees Fahrenheit and monitor for two weeks. Increase aeration or surface agitation during this time of offset the lack of oxygen in the water due to the high temperatures. During this procedure do not feed. After the fish has recovered - feed a more varied diet including live foods as much as possible (crickets, earthworms, bloodworms, etc.) Check for signs of bacterial infection or parasites for further treatment.

Long Term Bath:

Add 1/8 teaspoon of Epsom salt for every 5 gallons of water. Up the temperature to between 82 and 86 degrees Fahrenheit and monitor for two weeks. Increase aeration or surface agitation during this time of offset the lack of oxygen in the water due to the high temperatures. Check for signs of bacterial infection or parasites for further treatment

cause im a sucker with gallons and all that i just use tbsp per 40L with tanks that dont have scaleless fish in there (like BN) or 1tbsp per 20L for normal fish. i am unsure how sensitive fancy goldfish are so probably do the one for 40L just to be safe. you should see an improvment in 24 hours. there is no need to remove other fish but i am unsure of its effect on plants?

also perhaps get an autofeeder for the tank and let everyone know not to feed them anything. hope he gets better for ya!

for your replies and all that information. I'll print it out at work tonight and try the epson salt and perhaps the peas again and cross my fingers that it will help the poor thing. He is going to be rehomed away from work shortly which hopefully will help, as it wasnt a good environment for the fish to start with, too much flourescant lighting which was causing the tank to be too warm and encouraging algae growth, not to mention the smell. I'll post how this turns out when there has been some change :)

due to the fact it was the easiest way of doing it and it does seem to of helped, all the fish actually had a good 'cleanout' including Nemo the bloated one, he has come down in size, but is still quite bloated. I was wondering if this can be done more than once, say if a partial water change was done and the treatment done again, or would that put too much stress on all the fish ? Its only been 24 hours since it was done, perhaps he will come down a little more by himself. Thanks again for the advice so far, it was so appreciated, by me and the fish :)

if you want to do another one i would do enough water changes to completely remove all traces of epsom salts and then dose. if it has cleared a blockage i would expect him to continue going down in size as he continues to clear out the backup

I'll give it a day or two and see if he does continue to shrink, if not then I'll try the bathing method with him alone to see if it helps further. At least he doesnt look quite like he wants to burst now though he still looks like a floating butterball !