Nano Tank?!?

Aqua

Hey guys - I've just been browsing www.plantedtank.net/forum and discovered NanoTanks... Is this something common here as well? I really like the sound of getting a small(ish) tank, getting some Fluorite & gravel for a substrate, planting it to buggery, and having maybe a Betta, a Corydoras, & a small 'algae-eater' (eg: less than 3" max)...

For something small, like the cube-ish tanks I've seen at Jansens Glenfield (they'd be maybe 8"x8"x8") would one of the compact, energy-saver fluorescent light bulbs you buy from the supermarket be sufficient do you think?

For CO2, I could possibly put a couple of 'squirts' of the gas in daily?

What about filtration? I saw in the above-mentioned forum that a lot of people don't use filtration, just something to move the water around, and very regular water changes - no gravel vac'ing as you'd have very few fish in it.... Maybe a small (obviously :lol:) UGF??

Ideas? Comments?

***EDIT***

Better yet - I could set it up as a brackish tank - have a brackish puffer & maybe some mangrove from down in the harbour?

***EDIT#2***

http://www.nano-reef.com/

omg... I want a nano-reef... there's member in there, and his nano-reef is 12"x8"6" !!!!

Aqua,

heard of Takashi Amano? He reckons the smallest tank he has holds one liter, requires 80% water change daily, plants grow in matting not soil, 15 watts lighting. Nano tanks are more like the goldfish bowls of the old days.... a couple of bits of oxgen weed to give the fish oxygen, and a fish to give the plant C02 and ferts..... those nano reefs do look nice though, just a couple of bits to keep it interesting... because in marine tanks the rock is your filter you save on equipment reqs, the rocks and frags equate to the same thing as plants in tropical... :)

Couldn't say for sure, only just getting to know marine after about 8 months.... apparently new tanks get by on just rock, no filtration at all.... the rock is home to all kinds of life.... from other sites i have seen if you limit the number of things in the tank they get by, most don't include a fish.... give it a go :D:D

If you want a marine one, get a small bag of aragonite from Jansens (it replaces the calcium reactor), and get some live rock from the beach with some red/turquiose algae on it (looks like blotches of hard slime), get some of the flat oak leaf type seaweed (v. small piece attached to rock), then leave it in the tank for 6 weeks with a small pump to circulate water. If the plant doesn't rot away and parms are all good then I would add a fish, or coral...

The thing with marine is that you have to give it time.... when I add stuff that fails I have to wait about 6-8 weeks for my levels to stabilize again....

If you see little things swimming in the water after a couple of weeks you should be winning... :wink:

hrmm... is a strong current, like, breaking waves kind of thing considered bad? I mean, I have quite a powerful underwater filter that I could use in a little marine tank, but there would be quite a bit of circulation, unless I could tone it down somehow :o

Since you'd want somewhere around 10-20X the tank volume in flow per hour, I think the filter you've got will be fine, though, you don't want just a single current, you want more of a bunch of random turbulent currents going all over the place so there aren't any spots where debris collects.

true - the pump I've got is one of those ones used for decorative effect in ponds etc - water in the side, and out (at pressure) at the top... if I set up a nano-reef tank, I wouldn't have a filter unit, the live sand/rock would take care of that for me.

This is sounding more & more appealing - it's just going to have to wait, as I'm going in to study in October, so I need to be watching my money - my boyfriend has told me I'm not allowed to go into Jansens Glenfield anymore! :lol: