Best fish for algae control?

Southerrrngirrl

Bristlenose are my recommendation, and get young ones - as they get a wee bit lazy with cleaning glass as they get older. You should also invest in a magnetic glass cleaner so they aren't overburdened. Don't expect then to be able to handle the job by themselves if the tank is getting direct sunlight!

I have an army of 7 Baby Brisltenoses keeping my 620T clean and it gets direct sunlight from lunchtime to dark. There is not a spot of algae on the glass, or anywhere else for that matter.

Be interesting to see if it stays that way as they get older however.

I think Siamese algea eaters will eat that brown algae too.

Ottos!! Ottos are great! All they do is eat algae! Brilliant little fishies with heaps of character.

Siamese algae eaters and ottos are said to be the best algae eaters, SAEs tend to get a little bigger (15cm), and ottos (5cm). One thing tho, ottos are very picky about their water.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebInde ... lusart.htm <-- good info about ottos

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebIndex/saes.htm <-- siamese algae eater and the other ones.

I have found ottos mostly good, but expensive. Unfortunately I lost all of mine a couple of years ago when treating the clown loaches for ich. Made the dreadful error of raising the temp AND adding meds. :oops:

I now have a bristlenose and I must say he's doing a brilliant job. He has kept the tank cleaner than the 5 ottos ever did. IME he seems to eat more varieties of algae than the ottos, and he seems to have a stronger mouth to scrape off some quite stubborn stuff. And he was way cheaper than a school of ottos! :wink:

Yea the bristlenoses are no doubt very good at algae eating apart from getting lazy like most fish when they get older (e.g black line flying foxes).

There's a brief article on breeding otos (as yes $15 ea is rather expensive and they like to be in schools of at least 6).

There is a brand that make algae tabs that have wood particles in them Mystic, can't remember what it is.