AR-980 filter: HELP

Gannet

Hi guys im ust cycling my tank (no fish yet) but my flat mate can't sleep with the filter going, id it ok to have it off at night? or will i lose the bacteria?? or is there any thing i can do to make it quiter?? its not the buz from the pump its the girgle from the water going back into the tank that is annoying her!!

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

NO do not turn it off! What sort of filter is it? We need to know so we know why the water gurgles. Raise the water level, lower the filter, reduce the air flow. All these are possible depending on the filter type.

Hi Gannet,

I think most people that get an AR-980 have the same problem. We had ours in the living room and it drove us nutty. To tell you the truth once they've matured the amount of water slows down and soon it has much less noise. For now, try putting some plastic straws in the downpipe to break the flow of water and reduce the noise. The other option is filter wool in te downpipe but that can get clogged, cause a backup and a flood so definitely try the straws and let us know how you got along.

The other option is to fill the intake basket (the one at the bottom of the tube attached to the powerhead) with filter wool. This will 1) slow the flow and noise. 2) provide pre-filtration and lessen your filter maintenance. 3) save small/baby fish from getting sucked up.

I'm trying the intake filter wool on my AR980 today :)

its the standard wet dry bio filter that comes with an aqua one ar 980,

ive put 2 pices of garden hose in the out let and its made it so much quiteer,

the part that WAS making he noise was the out let back into the tank.

thanks for your help

We use filter gauze - like the black stuff that comes with your AR980 - we have an AR120 that drove us nuts too.

The only thing you need to watch for is to rinse the filter wool out frequently - otheriwse it will clog and the water level will rise...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

My Jebo filter kept on doing that as well until I cut a round hole in a filter sponge and stuck it around the outlet tube (post filter filter?). The gauze worked a treat too until it got clogged and the water came down thru the overflow. Damn noise kept on making me want to go to the toilet! :-?

I have just had the EXACT problem in my Aqua one 850. I solved the problem by placing a large bio ball over the opening in the last chamber. (over the hole that leads to the outlet) Because of the bio ball structure the water passes by fine and there is know more gurgling :bounce:

Since trying the polstrene trick my fish are totally different. They are schooling and moving all around the tank. I wondering if it was the small bubbles of air that used to come from the outlet that got pushed into the middle of the tank kept the fish out of that area. Appears to be a totally different tank. hmmm unusual will keep my eyes open for anything else.

Cheers Mike

• 4 months later...