Are these a pair and what species of Apisto are they?

kylefish02

They look a lot like the the ones I've got, and the best ID I have on them so far is apistogramma cruzi.

Check http://apistogrammaidiots.com/Fishroom/ ... erie1.html

I think they're a pair, but these guys can be very confusing. I got four of them, one definitely male, two definitely female, and one who looks like a female, but acts like a male, and tends to display all the time in front of the a. agazzizi female that's in the same tank. "He's" either a different species, or "she's" confused :)

hey, i got a bunch of juveniles from phil as well.. the parents were wild caught and labelled as Apistogramma juruensis. But the juveniles seem very similar to the ones in ur pics. I guess i'll have to let them mature a bit more and see. Have yours started spawning yet?

Well their defitnely a pair not only coz Stu told me but because they have just spawned :D . So hopefully they hatch but im worried about my pH and if the male was able to fertalise them as it was quite a tight squeeze for him in the cave.

cheers kyle

what is your pH? I've had quite a few spawns from my bitaeniata and have had no free swimmers that i know of unfortunately. Some of the breeders in Australia get their pH's down to 4-5 for their apistos. Have you tried adding some peat to your tank? I can only guess that your apistos are viejita then.. but dont take my word for it.

Thanks for that Kyle.

I remembered him saying that his shipment had been mixed.

I don't think that they are the same but they are definately similar.

The dorsal fins what I'm basing my opinion on, with the coloured and black lines being there and not on the other.

Cheek coloration is very similar tho.

Alan 104

thats wierd i must say. ph down can harm fish if your kh isnt stable enough to keep it down and its very quick i beleive. peat is slower, but if you boil it and use the tea its quite quick and as long as you add it properly it probably won cause any problems due to it dropping. i know some apisto breeders in aussie that get it down with peat to 4.5 but *shugs* i dont know much bout apistos. peat also has natural stuff in it which apparently calms fish (or beneifts them in some way, im no scientist).

Well this is going to throw the spanner into the works.. :o

But I bought 8 Apistos that look exactly as the ones you have Kyle, Iv'e got 3 males and 5 females BUT I was, what I thought, sent Melgar. Mine are spawning like you wouldn't believe.

Will be interesting to see when they mature a bit more..

Mekhaela

Hawkes Bay