Lochata Loaches

Krissie

I have two Lochata Loaches and was wondering if anyone has had any success breeding them?

I am asuming they are male & female as one is 'shorter' than the other. They are both about 2 -3 yrs old.

The one i believe to be female has gained alot of weight in the last week and was wondering if maybe she was ready to drop?!

But what?

Eggs? Live young?

Not alot out there on breeding these guys.

Any ideas?

(aka: pakastani or yo-yo loach)

Also looking for what the correct conditions are for breeding Hopolo Cats.

Cheers.

cheers for that Caryl.

I know the basics on breeding the cats, but i was wondering if there are specific levels required for the water, ie: temp, PH, etc

As for the loaches, yeah i couldn't find anything about breeding or sexing them, but my two are the same age, but very different in lenght and shape, so i am just assumeing male & female.

What do Loaches normally give brith to? Live young or Eggs?

Cheers

What do Loaches normally give brith to? Live young or Eggs?

Eggs. Livebearers require the female to be fertalised internally using a gonopodium (modified anal fin) and male loaches dont have those :)

If I have the right cat (Hoplo) then this link will be very helpful. http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=14

Well conditioned pairs should spawn readily, but a large water change should prompt spawning of a more reluctant pair. Mature fish are typically 18 months to 2 years old. The male builds a large bubble nest, therefore surface movement from filtration should be kept to a minimum. A mass of floating plants (Wysteria is good) are necessary to anchor the nest. After spawning the male guards the nest. The eggs within should hatch after 4 days. The fry are free swimming after 2 days and should be fed newly hatched brine shrimp. They will grown rapidly and should be fed small amounts frequently for the first 6 - 8 weeks during which they can attain sizes of up to 1.5''.

I have been trying to remember abuot hoplo spawning as Denise in Dunedin had lots of them many years ago. I seem to remember she too found a large water change (and slight drop in temp I think) triggered spawning.