Can TRUE zebra plecos be imported?

IOU1

Hi guys,

I know these fish are extremely rare but I have heard that 'zebra plecos' are able to be imported, unsure of the price but probably extremely expensive. I was wondering if the person confused this for the peru zebra pleco that is able to be imported. So are the true striped zebras able to be imported and if so what high price are they? I know they are extremely expensive but just curious if they are able to be imported.

Thanks for your help

Yeah I think your right, I said these fish are extremely rare but he said that he could get some in. But if they aren't able to be imported he must have them mistaken for something else. Maybe I should say they are 'Hypancistrus zebra' and see if he is still able to import THEM THEN. I have heard of alot of types of zebras. Shame these nice ones are endangered. On your last forum about them they said they were imported but commanded $600, were they captive bred or straight from the wild????

can be imported from countries which have bred them in captivity.America is getting wild caught ones again which are coming from other countries rather than brazil but they are illegally taking them out of brazil(smuggle) and then ship them to US and i believe if the importers in Us prove they came from outside of brazil it is legal.

kyle

those peru zebras are different fish. the zebra (L046?) is banned from export but the americans are breeding them pretty well. there were a few in nz, might still be some but no breeding colonies i dont think, even if they were they probably wouldnt be sold here- the aussies will pay mega bucks for them and outcompete most of us so would get shipped off :(

we are able to get zebra plecos in, they are all captive bred though. because the costs of importing as so high you really have to get a massive load in to try and cover your costs for maf visits, quarentine space, losses etc etc, if youve got a large wad of cash lying around you could always try :)