Introduction

Tony

Hi Everyone

Just joined site and have been reading with interest some messages posted. Didin't want to join and post nothing. Was a hobbyist in the seventies when I was a kid. Am 38 now and just set up tank after long time with no involvement. Have to say that keeing tropical fish has moved on a lot from when I was first interested. A lot more variety of fish and plants to choose from and better equipment etc. Have a 1200mm x 600mm x 700mm tank just established with 2 bristlenose plecs 1 red tail shark 1 clown loach 8 tiger barbs 1 kreb 1 rainbow 2 dwarf gourami and about 18 emerald eyes. Am establishing plants at the moment and then will look at some blue rams and thinking of discuss. My experience in Auckland outlets - Jansens is the pick with Three Kings the best branch. Looking forward to Silverdale opening.

Tony

Welcome to the fishroom Tony.

Looks like you have a decent sized tank there and some nice fish.

As you say, there's lotsa interesting messages here, so you'll find heaps to keep you up late at night he he.

Have you spawned any of your fish at all..?

Thanks Guys for the reply's and encouragement. Yep the tank that I set up is a fair size. But when I was deciding on what to do and now that I dont have to rely on the generosity of my parents, I just thought what the hay. I only ever had one tank that was about 600mmx300mmx300mm, so this is a real step up. Plus also the room that I have it in is a basement type very large double bedroom and is on a concrete block retaining wall plinth, so if I wanted I could have doubled the size (well at least lenght ways) Also the area has very little direct natural light. So it's perfect. Actually if I was advising anyone about setting up a large tank like this, I would say that one of the most important factors for me was being able to

stand on the base next to the tank at either end to work in it. This allowed me to bend over at the waist and actually get right into the tank. Having a tank this size on a stand and having to use ladders would have been a real hassle and physically I think too demanding. Also bloody expensive. I've spent all up $2000.00 but have spread costs over 4 to 5 months. Initially was going to set over period of 8 months to ease burden on my cashflow but my family started getting impatient and needling me about it especially my wife. My wife and inlaws never had an aquarium before, but now that it's nearly done they all dig it so to speak.

Breeding - initially tank has been established as display only, but must admit thoughts of trying to breed have crossed my mind. I was tweaking the heater and the temp of the water rose to about 27c. My tiger barbs (these are cool little fish by the way) started some interesting behaviour and some assumed a ruddy hue. I thought this could be the beginnings of courtship. Have since lowered temp to a conservative 25c. Things back to normal. Had two Krebs one vanished after 2 days and the remaining one female, very content on her own. Might introduce male see how he fairs. Tried to look for missing Kreb body nowhere to be found. Don't know if this was another female.

Um - fish kept as a young enthusiast, danios, 1 or 2 angel fish, red tail shark (always liked these fellas - hence one of first fish I bought this time round), corydoras, chinese algae eater, siamese fighter, neons. swordtails, guppys.

Sorry for droning on.

Regards

Tony

:) Welcome to the fishroom Tony. with the family interested you may be able to set up some breeding tanks to 'compliment' your decorative one :lol:

Sounds really nice. Have you planted it and how is everything going. I found the initial cycling the hardest part of setting up.