What the heck is that??????

newbiechris

I was moving some rocks in my tank today and saw somthing move on the sand. :o

I carn't get to posting a pic at this stage but it's about 100mm long, looks like a millipede and is quite flat. It has 2 rows of "legs" are on the lower side and directly above them are clumps of brown bristles on the upper side.

Bit of a surprise as I have never had anything like this before.

What is it and should it stay or should it go????

yip thats him

is it better to keep or expell? are they any advantage to the tank?

Well, they don't usually do any harm. They're a detrivore, so if you've got a lot of crap in the sand, you'll usually have a lot of them, the less crap the fewer. I guess all they are are additional bioload you have to support.

Layton

99% seem to be okay - I got the 1% that aren't!

A few months back had a problem with what I thought was a bristleworm eating chunks out of my leather. I liked that leather! Problem stopped whenever I put a worm trap in the tank. Saw him choping it a couple of times at night but they are real quick when you try to catch them!

Eventually caught him a couple of weeks ago when he had his head (and a quarter of its body) down the shell of a coco worm. I had noticed the coco worm was losing its 'feathers'.

Detritus eaters are fine but when your tank gets cleaner they get hungry and move onto something else!