Moving fish and water questions

Southerrrngirrl

hey all,

Been thinking about moving my rainbow shark from his very, very small temporary home (AR380) to our new Aquamode 600. Still a bit small for him I know, but bigger than what he's in now.

What would be the best way to move him in to the new tank? I've tested the water in both tanks, theres a slight variation in pH. his tank is about 7.2, the new tank about 7.0. There is differences in the hardness as well. His tank has 71.6ppm gH and 53.7ppm kh. The new tank is 35.8-53.7ppm gh and 35.8 kh. Are these differences enough to stress or shock him?

Also, the way I understand it, the lower the hardness the more acidic the water tends to be. Is that right?

Its always a good idea to treat fish like you have just brought them home from the LFS when moving them from tank to tank. Put it in a bag and float in new tank, adjust water as you normally would, i.e. add a bit at a time till you have replaced most of the water in the bag.

I have read that adding small amounts of water to a bag is an old myth. That it actually takes several days for the fish to fully adjust to the new conditions .

I read this in a book that was fairly recent 2003 in the local library. Is this true?