Dismanteling a large tank

Cyberfin

Hi all. I can get my hands on a huge glass tank (2000x100x80cm). It is very cheap because there is a hum-dinger of a crack running across the base. I had a go at cutting the silicone at one end but it still seems firmly set in place just wondering if anyone had any tips.

Cheers

If you dont want to goto that extreme you could try and get through the silicon using something small (razor blade or really small knife) and once you get through try feed some nylon etc through and work your way around using this to cut the silicon.. I haven't tried it but heard it somewhere and it might work.. Good luck

If you planning you using the tank as is, I wouldn't bother taking out the glass, just silicon a new piece inside covering the whole bottom. will fix the problem and make the bottom stronger so hopfully wont happen again.

But unless you know why the bottom is cracked, ie something was dropped on it, I wuldn't trust that it had been build with the right thinkness glass or was badly braced etc. My tank is almost 1700 long and only really supported at each end. I can move the poly in the middle of the tank.

Hey thanks everyone. The glass is at least 10mm thick and because it isn't particularly tall, I think the crack came from poor support rather than a lack of strength. So I will 'patch' it up with another piece. I don't suppose I would need 10mm glass to patch this up as the glass underneath should support it ok, provided it's level of course. Does anyone have any recommendations regarding the thickness of the glass I should use?