Wanting something for my 3 footer...any ideas

littlelater

Just wanting to get some ideas on what we can put into our 3 foot tank.

At the moment i have 2 goldfish i just borrowed them out of my uncles pond so they could give me a hand with the cycling of the tank.

I wanted to put something pretty/ugly like oranda nice and gracefull,

My partner wants something mean we can feed gumboots to.

I put a few bids on the latest oranda on trade me but know way was i paying $650 for 5 baby red caps?? Good luck to there new owners though.

So i have decided that because we are not going to re-mortgage the house to buy oranda...that he could put what he wanted in the tank......trouble is being 3 foot it's big, but not that big...not big enough for an oscar....so can anyone recommend some thing reasonably big aggressive, or something that has a bit of personality. doesn't matter if we can only have 1 fish in the tank. But preferably 2.

Give me a few ideas

thanks

P.S sorry for the novel i got carried away

bummer it aint big enough for an O, theyre ultra cool fish (perhaps time to sell that 3 footer and replace with a 4 footer, 250-300L? lol)

cons are pretty hardy, dont get both sexes though or youll end up with fry coming out your ears and no where for them to go :lol: they dont get too big also.

angels are also ultra tough fish, not agro normally though, unless your a Neon :lol:

what are the exact dimensions of the tank?

ive got a sev in with my O, theyre bossy to fish smaller than them, or lower in rank but otherwise i have found em pretty placid as far as cichlids go. i think they are quite angel fish like in personality, mine begs for food, but nothing like my O :lol:

heres some pics http://images.google.co.nz/images?hl=en ... a=N&tab=wi

they can reach 30cm but its more common for them to max out around 20-25, the height of that tank is probably a bit short though, my 18cm boy is around 12-15cm tall i would imagine and still has growing to do.

you wouldnt be into cons at all? perhaps turning it into a dwarf cichlid tank (ultra personalities but a bit picker than the above fish) or a african tank?

aint nothing like a large cichlid swimming round your tank that thinks theyre king of the world :lol: they can be harder to mix with other fish but luckily theres alot out on the net about them and what does and doesnt work, obviously individual fish temperments do come into play

A school of small fish is much more exciting and interesting than one poor lonely fish swimming about bored in a tank I think. I would set it up as a cichlid tank and get a variety of the smaller types. :o

alot of the larger cichlids like jags, oscars, RD's etc seem to prefer being alone (bar a possible breeding partner), its alot easier on other fish, they can have their own domain and will become more owner responsive. i provide toys for my oscar to play with even though he has tank mates. the above cant be kept in LL's tank sadly (i think its time to upgrade- whaddya reckon guys :wink: )

dont know much about peacocks but they are pretty so ryans suggestion might be worth looking into?

also the dwarf cichlids, theyre an oscars personality in a smaller package :lol: like i said before, a bit more picky and only max out around 6cm or so but they are definatly cute little things who think they are top stuff :lol: