Building Tanks

Liam_Beavis

• 3 weeks later...

I built a 700ltr fish tank, with corner overflows, and holes drilled into the bottom plane just recently.

Although its gone 'ok' and I am quite proud of it. After all the mucking around, time etc it prolly worked out more expensive than having one made.

If you are in Wellington I can put you in touch with a professional tank builder, and the person I am using to build my next tank.

That being said if you HAVE to build it yourself, its quite easy, just messy and awkward!

Pies

same story for me,

I built my first sump in ply, coated it with watersafe epoxy. Since it was so fiddly I took it to the local tank maker, and found out they could build it for 1/2 as much as I spent....

They get glass in stuff cheap...let them do it....

Tough Tanks Factory 6/42 Henderson Valley Road, Henderson 835-1451. There's a really nice lady there that does the work. You should see how many tanks they have lying around ....ahhh bliss.... I got her number from LFS and reckon her prices are amazing. :D

You have to call them with your dimensions.... I had some extra deep ones built which required thicker glass,hence dearer. From memory my small tanks (breeding) were 40cm x 50cmx 70cm long and cost fifty something, they're about 140 litres, but little ones like 100 would use even thinner glass than that... I know for a fact that LFS just get standard sizes in and add 50% and flog em off.

They all depend upon your dimensions... she goes away, figures out glass thickness required, then phones back with a quote. They have a nifty triangular one too that sits in the corner...