Foam

Lurch

Does anyone konw where to get the sort of foam used in filters. All I can find is the closed cell stuff they use in matresses and buying stuff precut for filters is expensive. Surely it must be cheaper in bulk

Hi,

Think Lurch is referring to the "sponge" used in filters as opposed to filter wool.

What you are looking for is called reticulated foam (as opposed to closed cell) where the cells are joined i.e. you can breath through it. I know Para rubber in Pnth doesn't sell it or even know what it is. Is commonly used in air ventilation systems but they tend to have too high a ppi (pores per inch) compared to what is typically used in aquarium filters.

Might be worthwhile starting your search with one of the industrial ventilation companies.

When I was back in South Africa I managed to get hold of some in bulk (2.4m*0.3m*1.2m) and the factory cut it for me (they have the kit to make perfect cylindrical and rectangular blocks) and I managed to make a bit of pocket money selling what I didn't use to pet shops as generic filter sponges. Note that prices are usually quoted per cubic metre.

good luck with the search.

Many of the sponges that you can buy for bathrooms are open cell foam.

Try the $2 shop... even a "Loofa" (sp).. would work.

Other things you can use are "Scotch Brite" pan scrubs.. (the green ones).. or if you just want a filler to collect the bacteria.. then nylon pan scrubs are ideal.

Chopped up drinking straws can act as noodles.. or the spikey hair rollers that ladies use .. or the Sticky Bricks that kids play with.. again.. the ones with all the spikey protrusions.

Personally.. I am using.. (and have been using for years).. the foam from a discarded setee.

It is pretty close celled.. so you have to "water log" it first.. but I mainly use this for sponge filters.. not power types or HOB's.

Bill.