Cycle additives

ljtan55

Hi guys,

Does anyone know if Cycle, Stress zyme and stress coat really work? Been reading some stuff online, and they're claiming that the bacteria in all these products are the wrong kind. If so is there really much point getting them? They're pretty expensive as well, and do they really reduce cycling time?

Theres some websites "http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebIndex/fwno3faqs.htm" claiming that Bio-Spira is the only thing that really speeds up the cycle, but haven't seen that in stores here.

Btw what are the most important test kits to have for an amazon tank? Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrates? Thanks!

I never really used anything with fresh water, also had an amazon (ish) tank.

I would just go with the PH test kit, the others you only need if you have a problem and to check that your cycle is going ok (if you feel you really need to know, I know its going happen and dont mind sittng back for a couple of weeks to be sure). The other tests you can get done at the LFS usually for $5 or less, and if you buy them you wont bother using them long

I used a product called Cycle. I didn't like it and stopped using it, with that said, maybe I just wasn't lucky with it...but for me, I found it made things worse than just letting the tank cycle without it.

I used nothing on my first tank, except fishies. I think it worked better. Plus, like everyone here says, if you already have any established tank use it to...hmmm, I think the correct word it "seed" your new one. But, if I recall correctly, this is your first tank you're setting up isn't it?

I've never used the other products you mentioned.

'apparently' cycle and all the other cr*p contains dormant bacteria, that have to have the right conditions to flourish- i happen to disagree. stress zyme, not sure what that exactly does to be honest, i read it once and forgot it.

bio-spira is a thing they can get in the US, it is bacteria in a bottle but MUST be kept refridgerated at all times otherwise the bacteria 'wake up', start wanting to eat, produce waste etc and pollute their container. you add it to the tank a few hours before you add all the fish and the most you will get is a small spike from all the people i have talked to in the US about it.

i have never added them myself. its a waste of money IMO, id rather save that 20 bucks for when my tank is cycled for some nice plants etc. but then again i can just pull out some media from one of my filters, use established substrate etc.

if you dont have a tank to take this from do you have any friends with healthy tanks you could take some filter floss, gravel etc from? it wont greatly increase the cycle, maybe a week or so but it just jump starts the whole process. and dont forget- if you dont have fish in there you need to feed the bacteria your self :)

Does anyone know if Cycle, Stress zyme and stress coat really work?

If you're using them to remove chlorine (that's what I use stress coat for) yes, it really works.

If you're using them to help cycle a new tank, then I don't know as I've never tried.

If you're using them for adding 'good bacteria' to your water every time you do a partial water change, then I think they're a waste of time and money. You're much better off making sure that your existing colonies of micro-greeblies are strong and resilient, and not over-cleaning your tank.

Btw what are the most important test kits to have for an amazon tank? Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrates? Thanks!

pH is the most important one once the tank is established. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate kits are helpful when starting a new tank. Personally, I like to have ammonia and nitrate kits on hand at all times - if something goes wrong with your tank (or you have a sickly fish) you can test the water to eliminate an ammonia spike or nitrification as part of the problem.

In saying that, they're more of a reassurance than anything. When something isn't looking right with my tank, I test for ammonia first and have never detected any in the water. When a fish has tatty-looking fins or is otherwise looking sickly I test for high nitrates but have never had a result there, either. But at least it makes me feel like I've eliminated some possibilities. :)

theyre always good to have if you can afford them all. i have a problem with hardness so i had to buy a kit and often use it. i also often use the ph kit and nitrate kit. i use the nitrate kit to tell me when to do water changes, if it gets over 10 on certain tanks (the discus and 'amazon themed' tank) i will do my water changes, but now i have sort of worked out the 'how often' i dont use it as much, but its certanly handy :)