Some Tang feeding queries

rossco

I have the great pleasure of having two neat tangs in my tank. A Sailfin and Powder Blue. Sailfin was first in and the bigger fish. PBT comes off second best in any scalpel duels but only got relatively minor nicks in the first few days. Sailfin eats like a pig but PBT picks at food 'graciously' - doesn't swallow sheets :o (slight exaggeration) of nori at a time like Sailfin. So when it comes to nori feeding time sailfin eats until its bursting and PBT gets the edges. I want to keep the PBT well fed. He gets a fairer share at mixed food feeding time as they are smaller pieces.

Can you 'overfeed' nori? How much go you guys feed?

(If you guys say you can feed as much as you like do you know where I can get some outriggers for the sailfin to keep compensate for his stomach :D )

How much should we intentionally leave some rocks with a degree of algae on them for the benefit of fish like the tangs (and angels) to graze on naturally between feeding times and reduce the likelihood of them having an investigative taste of corals?

(So stuff like Vodka should be used minimally)

And oh yeah - what is the meaning of life???? :)

Use two or more feeding points. I think it would be pretty hard to overfeed nori. Still looks like nori when they poo it out. Maybe the PBT likes it better that way.

If you have the space for a seperate tank (like a refuge) it would be well worth growing algae covered rock. Just about all fish like picking over rocks. I am planning on having one tank with grid racking so the rocks are not sitting on the bottom. That way more sponges etc can grow underneath the rocks and algae can cover the top.

Yup, tried that.

Like the proverbial pig, sailfin tears big piece off one feeding rock, eats this on the way to the second rock, same again, back to the other rock and so the cycle goes.

Same result as one rock except slightly more swim time in between :)

They aren't really that aggressive towards each other so far. PBT even pulls food out of Sailfins mouth when it can't swallow any more!

The are both putting weight on, just the sailfin a lot more than the PBT.

Just trying to achieve the impossible feat in reefing - well fed fish in a pristine tank! :-?

We have a Naso Tang who loves eating, pushes everyone out of the way.

We make a mixture of Shrimp, Mussels and Nori, all put in a blender then frozen into flat packs.

Break off a bit at a time

When it is fed bits of food goes everywhere through the tank so everyone gets a chance .

I dont like feeding sheets of nori, we have a customer who's tang will inhale sheets at a time (coz he doesnt want to share) he has lost one tang, he reckons he choked :o

Bruce