white spot/ hyposalinity

tel

I have done it, does work. Safe with LR provided you change parameters slowly. Not safe with corals / inverts.

Much easier on fish than copper in my opinion.

The big problem is making sure the salinity does not sneak up, even for a short time, harder than you think, you have to measure it exactly.

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevo ... inity.html

Hi Tel

Earlier this year I lost a really nice PBT and Butterfly to WS. Yup, a lot of learning especially too many fish too soon.

Once you get too much damage through perforated skin you leave the fish wide open to infection especially if WS is not reducing enough. My PBT took 2 months 'to die' from WS but die it did. And just when I was hoping we had turned the corner and using Stop Parasite, and garlic, and cleaner shrimps, and a lot of hope. :cry:

I took the bit between my teeth and dragged all my fish out of my main tank and put them in a QT tank for 4 weeks (plus 1 week for bringing SG down and up at the end). I followed the regime as per Wasp's link. It has worked a treat. Fish cleaned up their WS well without any further intervention. Fish never looked happier when in hypo.

Since then I have put Sailfin and PBT into main tank without any sign of WS and after a mandatory fresh water dip on arrival and 3 week QT(its difficult to type while rubbing my fishy talisman furiously! No rude comments now!).

Make sure you use a refractrometer (swing arms vary too much) and you can't go too far wrong. Stick to the schedule. You shouldn't get too much evaporation this time of year so shouldn't be too hard to keep SG right. Just fill up to the same line every time and any water changes with the same SG obviously.

I had live rock in the relatively small QT tank and it seemed to have kept working (as the experts say it should) as long as you reduce SG gradually. Keep testing for ammonia, nitrites etc. Makes a lot of greeblies jump out of rock though!

Good luck Charlie Brown!

Good going Tel. When I read your post in the other thread I thought it may be inevitable you will lose some fish, but looks like you've taken the plunge and are going to do this thoroughly!

Keep us updated! :D

The big problem is making sure the salinity does not sneak up, even for a short time, harder than you think, you have to measure it exactly.

not wrong...start at 1.009 and moved to 1.010 in 24 hrs even with a lid on the tank, guess i'll measure and top up 2-3 times a day. big w/c sees nitrite dropping but not ammo :-? using ammo lock to help. dragging pH and dkH up but i think the size fish in 70lts means some nitrite and ammo.

fish colours looking very washed out and the water tastes scarily fresh :o

must say they seem to be the happiest they've looked for a long time. :)

Have you got plenty of flow in there? That will help with the biological filtration.

When I did hypo I found the salinity could be dropped to just about 1.008, to provide a slight buffer against it getting too high. Would not go past that though the fishes own salinity is 1.007.

another 50% w/c to reduce the baddies. interesting how all fish are staying right at bottom of tank, which i guess is to do with salinity and bouyancy. there is a huge difference...when i thought i'd got good at windsurfing i went on a lake for the first time and totally sucked due to the lack of bouyancy compared with at sea :)

major reduction in w/s after 3-4 days as natural part of the tomites cycle. should have seen reinfestation by now (@ 1 week). cant see 1 spot so far :) the live rock is not doing its job esp well so just doing 50% w/c daily until it catches up hopefully. i hesitated doing this treatment as it seemed like major work however catching the fish was the hardest part and i'm taking the opportunity to reaquascape. my tank is real easy to pull apart as its so virgin, but the visual difference to the fish is so apparent, i'm glad i've done it. :bounce: still down at 1.008.........

Depends on who you listen to! :)

Recommended minimum is four weeks, preferably six. This is supposed to be enough time to encompass the vast majority of WS cycles and therefore break it completely.

How long can they remain dormant for in the substrate etc - who really knows? This treatment however is pretty reliable to control outbreaks and set the population up to recover.

Long term success? Depends on all the variables we tend manage only a fraction of every day in our tanks! :o

the rock was out of my sump so was live but not under any light. suggested you should keep them in hypo and have the main tank empty of fish for 4 weeks. the hypo tank is only 70 lts and has 2 clowns, a small blue, med yellow and med purple tangs; hence the water quality issues