Ca,KH, and Mg Calc

TM

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

i tested my water a few nights ago, my calcium was 290, mg was 1190 and alk was 5 :-? i worked 30 hours o/t last weekend then was back up north for work on monday morning - so this is what happens when you work long hours and dont have time for maintenance (or more specifically, no time to go buy the necessary chemicals!!!) I know the levels have been low, but this was the worst they've been. so low that coral colour had now faded, most noticeable was the poc which was starting to show terrific signs of being fully coloured (was about 70% pink) had now gone back to about 10% pink, a milli that was starting to go a more intense pink with slight green tips had faded. most other corals hadnt even showed much sign of colour recently (I know the ca has always been low). so thursday lunch time was the only opportunity I had so I went to medchem for some calcium chloride, bought 25kg (for $180!!! apparently price has increated :evil: ) anyways, clearly I needed it bad! (already got mg chloride)

I used the new ("flash") version of the online water chemistry calculator and put in my current and desired figures, needed about 420grams of calcium chloride to up the levels to 420ppm. i dosed about 50% at night, 25% the next morning then 25% that night. calcium now exactly at 420 as was suggested. added mg to top up water stirred it up heaps and let it auto-dose that night, now mg is exactly 1300. same again the following day with alk, increased from 5 to 6.5 then the next day from 6.5 to 8 and today to 9 using baking soda. just in that time period (4 days) the poc is about 40% pink, the milli is insanely vibrant and other brown corals now have blue and purple tips. anyways, a big thumbs up to J Dieck for the calculator, it seriously kicks arse and as I've said, other than helping to get my water chemistry exactly where i want it, the way its been designed to show different solutions based on your current and desired results is fantastic. if you're stuck or just want to check out what 'zone' you're in and how to get to the correct levels, I seriously rate it as the #1 used reef site right now :Dhttp://reef.diesyst.com/

I cant believe you guys need calculators. Its not rocket science.

Ok cracker, show me, complete with formulas, how to work out how much Calcium Chloride Dihydrate I need to add to a tank with volume of 950 litres of water in order to raise Calcium from 290ppm to 420ppm? (and I dont want the "guess work" or "adding a little bit" then testing the next day solution) I want total grams to add.

I cant believe you guys need calculators. Its not rocket science.

Smart

I have found it quick and easy to use also found out that I only have 1000 ltrs net not 1300 like I thought.

Personally, I wouldnt trust a calculator from anyone but myself.

If something goes wrong are they going to come over to my place and hand over a cheque for $12,000.00.

I dont think so.

Hexahydrate is not on this list anyway as far as I could see.

If you believe that the product from MEDCHEM will match up with that american stuff you're sadly mistaken. and if so which one?

All chemical manufacturers have differing ingredients.

Each to their own I guess!

Smart

I have found it quick and easy to use also found out that I only have 1000 ltrs net not 1300 like I thought.

What are your tank measurements Fay, You may not be wrong with your original measurement. Thats a big difference.

You cant believe everything you read.

10cm x 10 cm x 10 cm = 1 litre. that is accurate.

:roll:

Personally, I wouldnt trust a calculator from anyone but myself.

If something goes wrong are they going to come over to my place and hand over a cheque for $12,000.00.

I dont think so.

I DO think so, and you still havent answered my question. Where is your 'calculator?'. I asked you a question and you failed to indicate your 'method' of maintaining water chemistry parameters.

If you believe that the product from MEDCHEM will match up with that american stuff you're sadly mistaken. and if so which one?

All chemical manufacturers have differing ingredients.

Each to their own I guess!

Clearly you have not even seen nor used the calculator. Calcium Chloride Dihydrate (dow flake) is one of the chemicals to boost Calcium listed on the site, a fairly worldwide industry standard in terms of its makeup I would have thought.

For me, the calculator recommended dosing 453 grams to increase my calcium levels from 290ppm to 420ppm. I dosed a little over half the recommended dose and tested the following morning, what do you know, the level increased exactly as stated to 360ppm. Did the same again at 1/4 of the previous nights recommendation then did the same again that night at another 1/4, tested the following day and low and behold it came to 420ppm EXACTLY (salifert test kit) Not 410, not 430.

So using the same calculator I do the same for Magnesium, what do ya know, it also works. Then I add a little more Mg to my topup water to maintain how much I figure is being used each week vs how much is approximately topped up each night.

Clearly the calculator works. It has its own disclaimers of course as any 'generic' calculator like this should have. It also states to dose in 1/3 or 1/2 first then test again (which of course is a safe method).

So Im basically thinking here, "go with crackers calculator (which I havent seen nor do I know how it works)" or "go with a reputable and very well written online calculator which is incidentally backed up by Randy Holmes-Farley who has decades of experience in reef keeping..." Hmmm, tough choice. Not.

It works, simple.

I have found it quick and easy to use also found out that I only have 1000 ltrs net not 1300 like I thought

Ditto, I theoretically have 1,000 litres if you take just the tank size, however less the area at the top of the display, fuge and sump I took off about 50 litres so work on approx 950 litres.

No, it's not rocket science to test the levels, dump in a known amount wait and then retest. But at the moment I just haven't bothered to retest to figure out how many ppm say 100 grams of X chemical effects the tests in my tank. I just plug the numbers into the calculator and dump in what it says. This week I will though.

No, it's not rocket science to test the levels, dump in a known amount wait and then retest. But at the moment I just haven't bothered to retest to figure out how many ppm say 100 grams of X chemical effects the tests in my tank. I just plug the numbers into the calculator and dump in what it says. This week I will though

of course its not rocket science. never said it was. its simple to perform either method. my point being if theres an online calculator that WORKS, where all the ground works been done, and it saves you trying to work it out yourself plus the cost each time you perform a test, why not use it?

Ok...

my calculator is this.

The tank is a certain litreage. This will never change unless I upgrade or downgrade.

The litreage is consistent.

By testing,adding and retesting has set the amounts required for my litreage.

Ie: I know now that for my litreage I need 1 heaped tablespoon to raise MG by 10ppm.

So....If my tank reads 1290ppm, (As it did this morning), I simply add 6 tablespoons to raise to 1350ppm.

Same with KH and Ca.

As this is a known, I dont need a calculator. It is already calculated.

I just feel it is more trustworthy.

If it works for you guys, then thats great!

Saves the cost each time you test...how?

Only initially. In other words, it would have taken you a few tests to work out that adding 1 tblspoon of Mg to raise by 10ppm. I could also do the same as you have done, I know that for 950 litres of water, to raise 130ppm of calcium requires 450grams. So to raise 10ppm, theoretically this would be 35grams or 1/2 a tablespoon (70 grams in a tblspoon?!)