banded gourami with dropsy

Graeme Holden

yep read all the posts and been on the internet, what I need is someone who has treated a fish with dropsy to provide some guidance on treatment. this old girl has had dropsy for a couple of months and actually sits on the top of a filter to survey the rest of the tank, She still eats and seems to be otherwise ok, what I would like is for someone to give their experience in treatment results, I realize she would probably be better put down but am reluctant to do that, prefer to let nature take it's course if possible. Have heard the rock salt treatment can cause the fish to shed quite a lot of poop,water,and whathaveyou that is causing the fish to balloon up, over to youse lot, tks

Hi

Unfortunately there is no treatment available for Dropsy.

Tonic Salt can sometimes reduce the symptons also a very high vegetable based diet can help as well

I had 2 Keyhole cichlids with dropsy a while back.

Tried all sorts of other medications (Limited Choice Here In NZ Unfortunately)

Nothing worked

/Bruce

yep bruce is absolutly right unfortunately there is nothing that treats dropsy 100%

the only success i have with treating dropsy is tonic salt [different from rock salt] 1 teaspoon per 50L and feed frozen peas. but if its at the stage where the scales have lifted its usually too late :cry:

Hi GH, I have read where a very fine syringe is used carefully behind a scale and drawing off excess liquid.

Haven't tried it myself, but just letting you know what ideas there are around.

Alan 104

EDIT

PS: at anyrate, the fish should be isolated from other tank mates, as if it dies, or explodes, it then can pass it on apparently to the other inhabitants.

Al

A local down the road has suggested a couple of minutes in a very heavy salt water bath can either kill or purge the fish, he recommends sort of 2 minutes max and then back in the fresh water, only temporary but does do a great deal to purge the fish, any confirmation of this technique ??

is that like the high concentration salt baths? the ones where you put em in till they float sideways then back into fresh water? i havent heard of it being used on internal probs (it could be though), only external probs but im sure someone will pipe up soon and let us know :lol: