feeding sea horses

shaz03

I have just got my sea horses, but i am unsure of how much food to feed them, they dont seem very interested in food at all.I have been feeding them frozen brine shrimp purchased from a pet store.I was told that is what they were being fed on. any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks

Hi Shaz

If you have pot bellied seahorses then frozen brine shrimp maybe too small. They are reasonably lazy fish and it has to be worth there while to move for food. The best food for them in frozen Mysis Shrimp which can also be brought from most pet shops. I know there is a shortage of it at the moment and people are possibly using brine shrimp as a subsitute but i find my seahorses really dont like it. Also i found that for the first couple of days when introduced to there new tank, my seahorses sulk. They wont move around much or eat alot. Give them some time to get used to there new surroundings and they will come right. I feed my seahorses once a day, i have ten of them and would feed them about two - three blocks of frozen mysis. This is on the heavy side, but i am a sucker for water changes. If you only have the two i would suggest half a block in the morning and half at night.

Cheers

Seahorsemad

Hi there thanks for that valuable info do you have a name and number of a supplier for the shrimp as I am willing to try anything, and I would like to give them a varied diet.(bit boring being feed on the same thing everyday)