Itchy fishies!

Caper

My new tank is having an itchy problem too. :x {3 weeks old}

I have been doing little water changes every 2nd to 3rd day. I stocked up big early, used estabished filters.....{cheats way} 8)

But I think the cause is 2 bristlesnose I bought last Sunday. 3 days later I noticed 2 bodies.{5cm ones too} Thursday I noticed a couple of fish rubbing, didn't think much of it.

Today, I did a change around of tank & water change. Also seperated fish out into groups, so I handled most of my tanks today. Come home an hour ago & the new tank.. :-? well it's like a bunch of campers, camped next to a sandy river who forgot their repellent.

I haven't seen this much itching, since Amanda brought head lice to school back in '85. :evil:

So I did a gravel vac, 20% water change, raising temp now, will go 28-30. Increased airation, double dose of salt.

Because I am usually a good clean keeper I have no medicine. :roll: So will have to do a lfs run in the morning. And another water change tomorrow. :roll: 3 in 2 days, lovely. :-?

Caper anything with trichlorfon is very good. Bad for catfish{1/2 dose, or basically catfish go stiff, then turn white & die} but is still a very good treatment of itches, parasites...it is the active ingredient in Grub Kill, a Garden product. :o

Used to use a home Brew with trichlorfon too, good for those with alot of fish, discus, lfs staff....may make some up myself.

Firstly need to make up a bottle of 240grams/litre of CuSo4.

Medicine is;

40ml of Cu2So4 solution{see above}

12ml of Grubkill

8grams of Citric Acid

10litres of Water.

Dose tank at 10mls of medicine to every 20litres of tank water.

I used this on Goldfish tanks 2 to 3 times a week, & anything breathing heavy or itchying when I was a LFS dude. {Catties, 1/2 dose}

I wont check on the other tanks to the morning, didn't want to turn the light on in the fishies room. {garage} Glad the baby Whites have a small, UV in with them.

Parasites usually have a week or so, that is why regular doses are reccomended. The syphoning is to help suck out some of the little buggers. And add clean water. Good to here they are on improve. I always do a final dose after the spots are gone too.

Frenchy :D

trichlorfon is very good. Bad for catfish{1/2 dose, or basically catfish go stiff, then turn white & die}

The first treatment had the trichlorfon in it and I have no doubt that's what killed Chong my pleco :(:( The directions only said to remove snails & crustaceans.

Also seperated fish out into groups,

What do you mean, different tanks? Why the double dose of salt?

So, I think I'm getting a guideline to follow when fishies start scratching (not the occasional "itch") more than they should:

1. check water parameters

2. increase temp

3. add salt....oh, I'd be really nervous on that one!

If it is Ick, once you raise the temp how many days approximatly before the spots would appear? The reason I ask how long for the spots to appear is...hum...in case it isn't Ick but something else.

Why didn't you want to turn the lights on?

Parasites usually have a week or so

What do you mean????

Good luck to you and your fishies, keep us posted & know that I'll be thinking of you...must tell you this, when my son comes in with my grandson...if he's showing him the fish he makes this funny voice and says "here fishie fishie".

Update....

- so far today, no deaths :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

-all seem to be more active

To be on the safe side, I will dose with the Ick Guard tonight & tomorrow night whick will be the final dose.

Now, most of the neons, their tail fins are all but gone! One of the guppy's tail fin has a "split" and looks a little "clear" at the end (he didn't have Ick); another, who did have Ick a little "clear" at the end too.

Considering all they been through and with the meds, should I do anything else or just wait & see what happens now that the Ick appears to be gone???

One electric yellow dead last night, one this morning, both breeding size girls too :cry: I have at least 10 more girls that size, and 30 to 40 growing up, but I hate losing fish. :evil:

This is what I did today.

I drained the tank right down. To nearly nothing.

Took out the cichlids. Place them in big drum, with a little of their tank water & most from other tanks, threw in a parasite treatment, salt, their plants, ornaments...airation...

The catfish, loaches & a couple of little ones went into a 2 footer, that have a couple of fry, it has its on little internal UV steriliser running so should be right.{touch wood}

I had a heap of tiny white worms attached to the walls of the tank. Got a clean cloth, a bucket of hot very salty water. Washed down the walls & lids, heater, pump heads....

Filled up the tank with only enough water to cover a powerhead, threw in enough salt to treat whole tank & did the same for parasite treatment, ran for 2 hours.

Filled up tank with water from other tanks & new water. Threw in buffers, turned heater on...Ran tank for a couple of hours on 2 internal filters.

Cannister filter got a good flush out. All media replaced with old media from other tanks.

Jacked up canister, added extra internal filter & an extra airstone to the tank. Ran this again for another hour.

Still have 2 Yellows, I might lose. :( {Breathing heavy still.} Rest of cichlids look better, strict diet for 2 weeks now, feed every 2nd day, small amount only. Have to watch Ammonia/nitrite spikes.

Set alarm 1/2 hour earlier in the morning just incase I have to act again. :-?

Capers questions,

Yes seperate tanks, salt helps with freshwater parasites & just incase it may off been a nitrite problem too.http://www.aquascienceresearch.com/APInfo/Salt.htm

The parasite cycle, depending on species is around 7 to 12 days. eg; with whitespot, you only kill the parasite when it is free borne, as in not on the fish.

Didn't want to turn light on, as room is pitch black at night, I didn't want to stress them. If I did have parasite transfer, it will only be at starting stage jump on it in the morning. I also treated all tanks that I touched yesterday with a 1/2 dose of parasite remedy. Will be checking on them keenly for the next few days.

Good luck to you and your fishies, keep us posted & know that I'll be thinking of you...must tell you this, when my son comes in with my grandson...if he's showing him the fish he makes this funny voice and says "here fishie fishie

Cheers & :lol:

I haven't had to do anything like this for a while, good but. Keeps me on my toes. Amazing when you have been in the game how complacement can set in. :roll:

Filled up the weekend :lol:

Frenchy :D

How's your fishies, herefishiefishie? Sorry, about your electric yellow, and it is sad when fishies die :(

Well, I think the worst is over in my tank (knocks on wood, no wood not my head :lol: ). Although, I did notice a couple of neons scratching last night :o :evil: I'll have to wait and see what happens.

They really took a beating although a few have their color back (speaking of neons). Their tails a pretty messed up but I don't know if I should treat with Melafix or just leave for awhile. I mean this tank has had enough meds I think for awhile so don't want to add anything else unless absolutely necessary.

• 3 weeks later...

Frenchie, how's your fishies doing? No more losses I hope :o

Yesterday, I noticed a "couple" of my tiger barbs doing some scratching, *don't panic* I tell myself. Last night, more are scratching, nothing visibile *don't panic* doing water change tomorrow (today). *Thinking, maybe small water changes for a few days to see if it helps*!

Today, same scenerio, few fishies scratching...do water change, keep on eye on fishies. WELL, darn, watching fishies before and sure enough, a few have spots on them *don't panic*. Get out the Ick Guard, conditions are NOT like they were in other tank so hopefully will get it under control BEFORE it get's out of hand *don't panic*!