Gourami swims vertically!

Beachdude

I have a Banded Gourami which I don't think is too happy. It swims kinda vertically, dragging it's tail almost but when it want's to it can still gain some speed and dart around the tank. It has no visible signs of any problem. Does anybody out there know what it's problem might be?

My angel swims sideway often just because he can! He's fine and sometimes even swims upside down. When I sometimes wake him at night by turning on the lights I find him sleep swimming upside down. I hope someone has a more definitive answer for you soon though :)

Hi Beachdude,

What are the other fish in the tank doing? The banded gourami pair we have sometimes do weird stuff like that, almost if they are playing, but seem to wake up and pay attention if something else catches their attention... What is everything else in the tank doing, and the water chemistry?

are they breeding? if not i would probably suspect somethings up, havent keep these before though so dont know if they have any of those funny traits like clowns etc

tillie- i dont think that angels are supposed to swim upside down, might be worth looking more into that

Sharn, Hiya :) I must admit it sounds odd, but I really think he is an oddball. I did used to worry but there was just to plausible explanation except for an odd personality!! I find that he goes sideways, backwards and all angles to navigate very gracefully between the foliage. He's the only one doing it and has done it for months on end! I'm hoping there's nothing wring then...?! Have has water tested and everything, and have a UV steriliser too! :) Just an odd kid haha