Urgent: Treating fungus directly with Meth Blue

Tillie

I there, would love for moderator Alan to see this! Using the direct 1 drop onto the fungus, I was wondering for how many days etc to treat like this? I am getting some meth Blue this afternoon for an angel with fungus (greyish and fluffy in patches) on the base of his side fin. Thanks for any help, I apprciate it as my angel isn't too happy in his hospital tank and I'm wanting to get him as well as possible as fast as possible. (I've also raised the temp to 30C)

should I return him to the community tank after treating, or put him back into the hospital tank? Should I be doing anything extra also such as - raising temp (tank already at 28C and has other fish in tank that can't go much higher in the temp. scale) increase aeration to max (already well-aerated) adding any other medication such as melafix, reducing salt dosage etc? THANKYOU!

that he has teh beginnings of fin rot aswell.... please tell me how I should treat for these both: fungus + finrot. Treat with Meth Blue and add Melafix too? Or would that be too much? Or is there a good med out there that will do both? (Have tried Tonic, it's not effective) Thankyou

Have just rung a petstore (I know they arent exactly a wealth of knowledge!) and was advised to try Furan 2 as it will treat both the fungus and the finrot as quote "they are the same bacteria causing them both" so will give that a go - will buy both anyway, and hopefully will have some second opinions from you guys? Thanks :)

the drop (i think) should be put onto a cotton bud then applied directly? just put it back straight away into the hospital, fungus isnt too catchy but id leave him out for treatment, especially if you are going to put it in the water as treating unsick fish can be stressful for them. im not really too up on my meds sorry, but you dont want to mix them at all unless youve been given the ok by experts here, dont trust your LFS.

hope someone gets back to you soon

Yep, keep in a hospital tank, keep temp. to what it used to, don't have the aeration too strong so as to stress the fish by making it have to swim the current, and I don't see why melafix can't be used as well.

When you apply to the affected areas, try not to get the medications into.the gills.

Keep the lighting down, and make sure that you have no carbon in your filter as this will stip out the meds.

Alan 104

Fin rot is a bacterial disease and needs to be treated with an antibiotic. The fungal infection is normally an oportunist infection on the area damaged by the fin rot. Furan is and antibiotic and contains methylene blue. On the odd accasion the fish shops do get it right. I have never used malafix and therefore no nothing about it. I don't like the idea of puting oil into a fish tank, and I doubt it has any fungicidal properties. I would treat with furan and add methylene blue directly to The infected area also. I would not raise the temperature or aeration and treat in a seperate tank as the methylenE blue stains the RTV. Good luck.

often it can spreed diseases/bugs up, thats why people do it for things like white spot but then it helps if fish arent eating etc as it speeds up their metabolisms which is supposed to make em feel a bit more hungry. i wouldnt personally want to speed fungus up (though apparently the main fungus bug -sapro somethign i think- prefers colder water but is oppertunistic so will take hold even in warmer temps), so overall this probably didnt help much lol, sorry and i hope someone can put things right for you soon. good luck and hows it holding up?

H Sharn,

Yeah he's holding up really well. I have to start a 2nd round of Furan because it's not all cleared up. He's eating and has got his black stripes shining a really strong colour. He seems happier and I can't wait to have him back in the tank. Thanks for your support, it's really encouraging to know someone cares! :)

good to hear! well done and a big pat on the back to ya, its stressful having sick fish and heartbreaking to lose them but when you manage to bring em back from sickness you feel like youve won the lottery (or is this just me lol). i hope everything continues to go well for you and keep us updated :)

Just an update:

Got Furan 2 and treated for two rounds as 1 wasn't quite enough. Yesterday was gong to return him to the comm. tank but saw that the fungus had gone but where it was was all red. Advised to return to comm. tank and treat with melafix to regenerate fin. This morning both fins red, but tonight it's only the original fin affected and the redness has gone down considerably. Angel is feeding well, darting around the tank and has his black stripes on really dark. He is back to mating rituals with his mate so I'm glad I didn't lose him. Thanks everyone for your advice and support. I appreciate it!