Hide seek neon tetras

Fishkeepa

Hi people

Recently one of my four neons has taken to hiding around the tank. I worried as it doesn't come out at feeding time. It is the smallest one of the four and i think it may be a female. Should i try to move it into a seperate tank to feed it or will it sort itself out. Anyone with advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Hi there.

What else is in the tank with your neons?

When were they put into the tank?

How big is the tank and is it planted?

I reckon for the next couple days, you can keep your eye on its

behviour. If it doesn't improve or your concerned you can catch it and

put it into another tank.

It may be shy or it could be feeling off colour.

I'm sure someone else will have something helpful to add too.

Good luck with your fish.

All the questions kookie asked are really important.

I would add that isolating a schooling fish rarely helps to make it more confident. If anything, boosting the number of fish in the tank is more likely to make the little one feel brave.

its 35 by 35cm and 50 tall

it is planted with a cave ornament - where it usually hangs out

The tank has:

2 Angels

3 Mollies

4 neons

3 Glowlight tetras

1 Bristlenose catfish

1 Otocinclus

It is slightly overstocked but she said she had had it for a long time and was only carrying out water changes every 4-5 weeks.

i recently brought it from a lady at my fathers work (about 5 weeks ago) and it has been fine until last week when it 'got shy' I recently rearrange some of the plants as there were tall plants in front of small plants. Could this be a cause. I had a quick look but couldn't see it today

Thanks for everyones help

It is a bit overstocked. Don't forget things will get worse as the fish grow.

Do you know how old the neons are? When they get old the grow paler, move a lot less and tend to look a bit tatty. As many people buy them as a group, chances are they are all the same age so when one dies, the others aren't often far behind so people think they have something wrong when in fact it is geriatric siblings.

In my opinion those two angels are the amount of fish you should have or get rid of them and increase the schools of glo-lights and neons to 6+ fish, each.

When all is said and done, you only have approx 1 1/3 square feet surface area.

Alan 104

i believe they are about a 1 to 2 years. She said the tank has been running with that stocking level for about a year and a half. It was even said that one of the mollies had babies. She brought the angels to eat the babies. i later found under closer inspection that all three mollies were males as they all had gonopedia (spelling?) But she seemed rather trustworthy.

it could be scared of those angels, neons do make very tasty neon snacks :o either that or you just need to buy more, but dont bother about it unless you get rid or some of the other fish, dont wana keep over stocking just to make your fish feel comfortable. i say drop em angels. if your mollies have bubbas (if you work out what sex they are, if they have that little gonopodium (sp) theyll be boys) just sell em or give em away. dont need anything to eat em and your mollies will snack on em if they find them anyway. howver it could just be old. have you looked at its body? it doesnt have a 'cloudy' looking body does it?

From what I learned here, and has already been said...neons can be snack for angelfish. You might get another tank...hehe MTS...for your angels.

I'd keep a close on him/her and watch for any changes (physical). Is this neon new to the tank or did they all come with the tank?

the angels are both rather small (larger 7cm smaller 5) and the neons about 2.5-3 so i dont think the angels will eat the neons but it came out to feed today and hung with its other buddies so it might have been a midlife crisis or something but i will keep watching it