Leopard fish males (do they fight?)

alextret

I had 4 leopard fishes in a tank outside, 2 males and 2 females. Last week, I found one of the males dead, and another one eating it.

Could it be the case that they had a fight? Or is it something nastier (some sort of a disease etc.?) There are no plants in the tank, so there is nowhere to hide. So far, the remaining 3 leopards seemed to be OK.

The tank is actually a large (semi-transparent) plastic box which I use as a quarantine tank. It is of an adequate size, and I change about 30% of the water daily. I have to keep the lid on to prevent leopards from jumping out, so I can not put any plants in, for I am not sure if the plants would get enough light.

I guess they'll have to stay in quarantine for a looong time (if they stay alive).

I found leopards to be somewhat accident-prone (dying for no obvious reason, jumping out, etc.)

I have an interest in fishes other than gold fish that can be held outside.

I think my water quality is not good enough to keep natives, which leaves me with WCMM and leopards.