Super fine gravel, 0.8 - 1.4mm coffee grit

green & blue

Hi to all fellow aquarist; hope someone could help me up here. currently working on my 4ft plant tank project. got some JBL aqua base as base (about 1ich). Found some awesome looking super fine gravel at local landscape store, wondering if this grave will work??

has any one seen/used this before?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Stamps-coins/C ... 576499.htm

136334131.jpg

Hi to all fellow aquarist; hope someone could help me up here. currently working on my 4ft plant tank project. got some JBL aqua base as base (about 1ich). Found some awesome looking super fine gravel at local landscape store, wondering if this grave will work??

has any one seen/used this before?i think this is used for patio you see on public pathway, comes in few diff. color. black/olive green/coffee

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=52322571&ed=true

I've got fine 'grit' as a substrate in my 4' tank, works well but I don't have plants. My bigger fish stir it up sometimes so filter intakes should be located as close to the surface as possible. The only other problem is that it's hard to gravel syphon, but I find most of the sh!t just sits on top of it so if you're careful you can suck most of it up without disturbing the grit.

Hey there Green&Blue,

If you disable the HTML and the BB Codes in your replies.. the "Quotes" and the "Links" will show up correctly. :)

Would also be nice to know where you are from.

Cheers,

Bill.

cheers Bill,

still mastering how this forum format works, give me sometimes... :)

i am in Akl, manukau area. will update this in my profile.

I've got fine 'grit' as a substrate in my 4' tank, works well but I don't have plants. My bigger fish stir it up sometimes so filter intakes should be located as close to the surface as possible. The only other problem is that it's hard to gravel syphon, but I find most of the muck just sits on top of it so if you're careful you can suck most of it up without disturbing the grit.

emmm....what color is yours? a bit concern it will lose color after a while...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi green and blue, i use something very similar called charcoal grit in my planted tank and have not had any probs. It's cheap and i mix it with slightly bigger sized smooth gravel for a kinda natural river bottom look. it's dark grey when dry and black when wet. I use a substrate additive in the bottom 1/3. i get it all from Stone and Water World on Marua rd.

:D