Resin Background

WEKA

Hi

I am looking at building a resin background for my 1500x600 saltwater.

I had thought about sculpturing it out of polystyrene and coating it with resin.

The idea was to then disolve out the polystyrene afterwards to get rid of the buoyancy. Has anyone tried anything like this and what sort of resin is available for this sort of application. I would really appreciate any help you can give me with this. I have access to large sheets of 100mm poly.

hey weka...... i was thinking of doing something similar using paper mash-a (sorry ant spell it) to make the shape then wax the outside and then fibre glassing over top and removing the paper stuff (wax is so the glass removes easy) leaving a nice strong back ground you can add paint to the fibre glass so you get the colour of rocks e.t.c ....but im trying to find on the internet if fibre glass is ok in a fishtank or if something has to be added to make it safe.... let us no how you get on as your way might be better then the way i thinking of....

That would be a lot of paper mache stompa for my tank.

I was thinking of sticking two sheets of 100mm together to get a good depth to be able to make caves and crevasses for my crayfish and things to hide in.

There must be a resin available like they make the shipwrecks and things out of for tanks.

yes your right as ive got a ship wreck sitting in the tank in front of me and it didnt even click (im having a brainless nite :oops: ) i forgot to say i was going to use chicken netting to make the shape then a small amount of paper mache over the top .... i was going to go this way as i havnt been able to find any polystyrene at a good thickness......

• 1 month later...

I made my whole tank out of fiberglass a year ago and have had no problems with the fish. It is polyester resin and fiberglass over plywood then I coated the inside with epoxy resin. A friend tried just using polyester resin for a pond and all the fish died.

• 3 weeks later...
.... i was going to go this way as i havnt been able to find any polystyrene at a good thickness......

I was at mitre 10 Mega asking about the sheets of poly they have. $14 a sheet for 25mm. I noticed sheets 50mm thick also but don't know the price. They are big though - 2 meters square and bigger

• 6 months later...