setting up marine~Larger-ish size

Newtman

well here goes.....this is the tank and stand which we have at present,soon to be replaced be a shorter version(500 high),posibly will get put to use as a sump(1 huge system :o)now wouldnt that be cool!!,please can ya give me any sugestions on basicly anything,heaps of options and oppionions very welcome.

DSCF0332.jpg

and heres what i plan(nothing fixed yet) for a system

loungedesignview.jpg

sump will be in the room backing on to the lounge,as the aerial view shows below(bit small to see srry)

sumptanktopview.jpg

very basic design to be added to

pluming will probably be 40mm hansen w 50mm holes,thinking 2 closed loops in the base also,heaps more aswell,but to much too rite lol...

cheers Tim

pluming will probably be 40mm hansen w 50mm holes

Well I'll have the drill for you :lol:

Wait and see how my one works out with 40mm hanson and standpipe- or whether the standpipe should be 50mm. Here's hoping. :D

Are you able to get those 2 bottom diagrams a little bigger?

As for suggestions - "go Chimera" on your plumbing - if it were me I'd want an insane amound of flow provided for by well-concealed closed loops. I'm not a fan of having any visible piping. Perhaps build a rock wall or something with homemade rock and put some plumbing outlets ect in there.

I'm geussing your going the whole hog with sps?

Another cool thing would be a small pod farm with a waterfall down to the display from above your sump. I think this was chimeras idea? Noone has done this before here (??) but it would be super cool even with just a small pump and tank.

pod.jpg

Another cool thing would be a small pod farm with a waterfall down to the display from above your sump. I think this was chimeras idea? Noone has done this before here (??) but it would be super cool even with just a small pump and tank.

pod.jpg

have read that most pods will survive the trip through the return pump, so no need to have fuge above tank. anyone know if this is true?

I had an above tank fuge at my old house. It worked the same as the one below. I wouldn't do it again, but if its practical it will be OK.

Most things will survive the return pump. I did a test last year for Chimera. I put a cup of brine shrimp though, not sure if any died, but there were alive upstairs. I also tried glass shrimp (much bigger than the average pod) and most of them survived.

Pie

I have a 300l 'above tank' sump. Works very well for nurturing the greeblies. Does have a few difficulties/drawbacks:

- the outlet hole has to be quite big to ensure enough flow (gravity fed) gets through tank and still have a margin of error so overflow doesn't end up on floor. In hindsight would have put outlet hole much further down from top of tank to enable a better 'head pressure' if required.

- being basically an overflow you can end up putting 'skim' back into your main tank

- reduced pump performance the greater the head height from main tank to sump

ill try get some larger pics up soon,the sump will be below the tank in the other room,plumbed in through the wall

if it were me I'd want an insane amound of flow provided for by well-concealed closed loops. I'm not a fan of having any visible piping.

yea they will be mounted in the base consealed by the cupboards..

a small refuge/pod farm would be cool,ill have to see what i can do...