DIY Stands and cabinets

Rory

Hey ya all.

I'm looking at getting a serious tank at the end of the year and i'll be making my own cabinet for it. Possibily out of Rimu or Kauri, but ill make it out of Matai if i can get ahold of some at a good price.

Anyway i was wanting to see if anyone here makes there own cabinets, if so post a pic. Im after ideas.

Cheers

Rory M

Doesnt matai smell bad?

I would still go for a steel stand with wood panels rather then trust the whole thing to wood. You could get a basic steel stand and pretty it up with wood that way you dont have to worry about the strenght of the joints or putting a back onto it.

Doesnt matai smell bad?

I would still go for a steel stand with wood panels rather then trust the whole thing to wood. You could get a basic steel stand and pretty it up with wood that way you dont have to worry about the strenght of the joints or putting a back onto it.

Yeah i think i'll go with a metal frame, make life a lot easier!

I've only ever made small things out of matai and they never smelt, but they were only small boxes. But isn't it the nicest looking wood!

I know that welding is the strongest method and the only method I would trust to hold the steel together and take the weight of the tank when full.

That's not to say other means wouldn't work, but haven't seen any stands that haven't been welded together.

On the top and bottom of the stand, we screwed in to place two large flat boards. The bottom one for weight distribution on the floor and the top one for the tank.

We then built a cabinet around the frame using custom wood, which we will paint inside and out.

depends on the look you want.

Some people are happy with the cheap freedom/criterion look that MDF painted gives

Others like real wood thats stained or polyurithaned

Others like aluminuim sheets for the sides of it, the limit is your wallet and imagination. Keep in mind that you can get cheap pine and stain it to look darker etc so dont just go running to the pre-loved kauri unless thats going to fit in with your decore.

And some like me just put an old sheet there to hide the stuff underneith it ;)

I definately want to go the stained wood look. My tank has been set up cheaply as a marine tank, and if it looks good it might be worth more than my total setup cost.

I havent a clue how to do that though. :cry:

I'm geussing I start with the cabinet doors, then find the wood after that. Can I just screw it in?

Start with the sides and front panels. Cut out the size squares you will need for the doors. They will need to be slightly larger than the holes you cut out.

Yep you can screw the panels straight onto your stand. Hinges for the doors and bobs your aunty.

Measure it all up, make sure sizing is right. Take it outside and stain it. Let dry them screw it on.

I definately want to go the stained wood look. My tank has been set up cheaply as a marine tank, and if it looks good it might be worth more than my total setup cost.

I havent a clue how to do that though. :cry:

I'm geussing I start with the cabinet doors, then find the wood after that. Can I just screw it in?

You should check in your local paper for old posts or beams from demolished buildings. Some can be accuired quite cheaply and look better than anything else.

You could keep it under $100 if you have the patience to wait for a bargin to roll around.

Screw into the wood thru the metal so that you have no screw heads on the outside, measure the screw against the wood and metal to make sure it doesnt come out the front of the wood.

For doors get some kitchen cupboard hinges because they will let the door sit flush with no hinge visable, but you need to drill a well controlled hole into the door so that the mechanism sits in it, too far and you drill right out the front. You will need a drillpress or super-good handskills to do this.