tank change :(

reef_man

As i am 14 and i am setting up about a 100gallon aquarium i coudnt afford it i dont think, ive got me a job but it would take me ages to set it up... so i am going to get two smaller tanks

my 1st tank is going to have two clowns, anemone and other things, and mayby a tang

2nd tank would be homed to seahorses and mandarins

its such a bumer becasue it would love a large tank :( but mayby in the future... just a quick Q. how much would it actually cost me for my origional size tank from equipment to LR and LS (im guessing around $2000)

Length: 75

Height: 65

With: 75

if its not to expensive i might stick with it but proberly not...

If you're really keen you should just keep reading....

As helifax suggested to people starting try to get a book on it

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/189008 ... e&n=283155

Now if you're like me when I was 14 - I would definately not have wanted to buy a book, but remember this is pretty complicated stuff.

I think you would probably be best off with seahorses to start with. Especially with a tight budget - and you're very young IMO to deal with very complicated invertebrates like anemones.(no offence :D )

I suggest a seahorse or fish only setup. That way it wont cost too much - you can get some really cool fish, and not need as much live rock ect. And also get some experience with the problems marine systems have.

You can make your own base rock, which makes it very cheap. I have a thread on this somewhere, called "diy base rock" but the search thing isnt working. :x

Mandarin's need lots of live rock and around 100g tank per fish, plus they only eat live food (pods etc) so your tank must be pretty mature (6 months plus) to have a big enough population to keep them going.

Anemones need really good water quality and lots of light so unless you have the money for MH light ots of rock, good skimmer etc this isn't really an option either.

Tangs can also be a problem if your water quality isn't good they suffer white spot and don't do well if stressed (i.e. by poor water)

Seahorses would be ok accept that you will need a chiller to keep the water cool which will cost, this is also another reason you can't keep mandarins with them or do a half and half tank

But all is not lost, clowns are a good idea, you don't have to have an anemone and they are pretty hardy it would be good way to ease your self into it with out having to out lay so much money, you can also have some soft corals (leather , mushies etc) without the costly lights. Have a look at some of the other damsels as well, they are hardy, really nice looking and cheap, so long as you know that they are aggresive and might have to be removed later down the track if you start getting other quiter fish. If you do go for a fish only tank and save some money, there are some stunning fish that most of us aren't able to keep because they damage corals.

Good luck