freshwater-marine...

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Its ok if you are sure both tanks are disease free.....

I have had fish diagnosed with TB in my freshwater tank. Since there is no way to remove the TB cyst, and it can survive for two years even outside of water, I never move anything between tanks. TB is common in freshwater fish esp. neons, guppies. It took 4 months for mine to show up and start wiping out my other fish. It is zootropic and can affect salt water fish as well as humans and other animals.

For the cost of a couple of bucks I would use two sets of hoses and buckets....

peety

• 2 months later...

If you set up twenty tanks at once then i would definately use twenty sets of equipment..... after a year or so I would probally feel safe to share...

PS. I wash anything that goes into, then comes out of my tropical tank, including not putting my hands in if I have any scratches, children are not allowed to touch the water or touch the plants that grow on top of the tank, it has its own set of nets and buckets, check http://www.hkcfp.org.hk/article/2001/mar/20010304.pdf for reasons...

If its a risk, treat it like a long lost friend, with smiles, and mistrust

(ancient benny g.serit sanscrit re. Aqua)

Hi peety

I am not sure what you are trying to tell me/us about the link. Are you affraid to catch that virus? If so, then 100 different buckets and hoses would NOT help you.

John

If I misunderstood the link, then I will stand corrected

Uh I guess I am.... :oops: it's called fish TB..... separating your equipment allows you to prevent it from spreading to other tanks if you get it.... if you do identify it in your fish you have the option to then dump one lot of fish, tanks, and equip....

I use one syphon for my three tanks. - two are freshwater and one is brackish. As John said mainly cost factor. However like Peety and most fish keepers I am aware and worry about infections so keep all the equipment clean and rinsed with anti-septic (masterpet). If any tank showed signs of illness it would be treated and cleaned separately.

I am interested in what you all do. :roll: