Wavy-edge swordplant flowers

antwan

Just thought I'd share, not sure if this is a flower or a runner coming through (or is it both?). Anyways, as you can see i have circled the flower/runner. This plant is quite mature, and i recently pulled a few of the outer leaves off, if this had anything to do with it or not i don't know but i think it would be quite cool to have a flower sticking out of my tank. Does anybody know what colour these flower? My guess would be white.

flower.jpg

Congrats, you have a pup stalk! MRSkz already directed you to the link where I explained this already but here's a summary. If you keep the stalk under the water you'll get pup plants and no flowers. If you let the stalk emerge you'll get flowers and pup plants with no roots. You'll have to then try and submerge the pup plants to grow roots but they'll prolly lose the leaves and grow new ones. It's a gorgeous Echinodorus you have there. I havea similar one with the "rose" colour variant (red leaves at the beginning which go green as they age). Want to post some better pics?

No worries, just did a quick check of the FNZAS Plant Survey and think I found your sword. Check it out -

Echinodorus osiris

Common Name: ROSE AMAZON SWORD

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/plant_survey/aq ... d098544e42

It's definitely mine, that's for sure. Do young leaves have a reddish tinge on your plant? If not, you're probably right about it being a Echinodorus martii (major)

Common Name: WAVY (Ruffled) SWORD

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/plant_survey/aq ... d8de5e1c2c

They're both wavy, the only diff is size and red leaves.

Sure thing, I'll trade you or buy some off you. You still after some more crypts? Your pup plants should be ready in about a month if you keep the stalk under water.... Looking forward to my Rose propogating. It reproduced via rhyzome recently and the offspring is now the centrepiece in my friends AMAZING 500L planted tank.

I think it is what you thought it was Echinodorus martii (ruffled sword) I have one also and I don't think they are very common. I had one years ago which sent out a runner which went a couple of times around a 4ft tank. My present one is about 500mm high and I am hoping it will do its thing also. Carefully weight the runner down below the water surface so it still gets lots of light and allow the plantlets to develop then carefully prize them off, don't cut the runner. Usually it will grow more in a few months. Good luck.

Yea, ive been told these are quite uncommon, but i managed to score three of these when they were little for only $5 :D . My second is just starting to get bigish, as i have removed all other plants near it. Yea, blue id be keen for some more crypts, always keen :wink: . Sounds like this runner might get quite big. If anybody else is looking for some, hopefully i will have lots, would be keen to trade for some other plants, less common ones especially.

Thanks for that Alan, i prolly would have cut the runner just after it stopped the first time. Although i would like to see it flower, i think it's best that i keep all of it submerged.

Woke up this morning to a nice surprise.... an underwater flower from one of my marble swords! This runner has never been anywhere close to the surface and is probably the closest to the substrate I've ever positioned so it's a mystery to me... pretty little flower though, Kim thought it was rather sweet :D

MarbleSwordsflowerweb.jpg

Sadly enough it looks like it will have a very short life under the water. Petals are already going transparent...

Jude - what's a leopard sword?

Runner is about 2 weeks old. My tank is full of the darn things. Was about to pull out some of the marble swords to put in taller swords in the back when they all started stalking after I started hitting the tank with Flourish Excel. Now I'm trying to find new homes for all of them and get some variety of swords in my tank. Oh, found pics/info on the Leopard Sword. http://www.aquahobby.com/garden/e_ozelot.php

Nice plant, Jude. I'll buy some or swap for some other kinds of swords or plants if you have more than one "spare".

BlueandKim I'll swap ya one for one if ya like u2. my amazon is possibly this http://www.fnzas.org.nz/plant_survey/aquarium_plants/?user_plants=47&cHash=62d31a205b or http://www.fnzas.org.nz/plant_survey/aquarium_plants/?user_plants=52&cHash=d098544e42 not really sure. I do have pics of it http://photobucket.com/albums/c360/MRSkz/?action=view&current=3footer.jpg there. That's not the curent setup though.

My osiris flowers under water as well-- strange. When the plantlets develop at the flower nodes there is usually more than one at each node but only one or two develop. When you remove them the others get a chance to grow. If you cut the runner you waste all those partly formed or yet to form plants.

good work blue on finding that pic, that leopard sword is awesome, will definately be keen to do a swap Jude. Anybody else around with an oddball or rare sword that would be keen for a swapsy (look at me getting all ahead of myself before i havnt even got one new plantlet).

As I mentioned, I have a Rose Amazon Sword and it looks like it's sending up a runner as of this morning. I also have a really rare Red Melon Sword that I'm bringing back to health and trying to get going well after a bad shift...

There's a pic at the bottom of the FNZAS plant survey - http://www.fnzas.org.nz/plant_survey/aq ... d098544e42 but before I have time to snap pictures (REALLY busy with all the fishy stuff going on at present) I'll give you the simplest description I can. Same as yours, but leaves are red when they first come up and turn dark green. Your martii should go from light green to dark green, right?

You're gonna need a lot of light for red plants, but considering your amazon is stalking I assume you have plenty already ;) I guess it's a race to see who grows out a pup stalk first, aye? You're probably about 3 days ahead of me already.... if I even HAVE a pup stalk, that is! 8)