filter query

skate

my little aqua one aquarium has a charcol filter in it, the dude in the shop told me to replace these once every 5-6 wks. If my tank is still cycling (which it is) and I change the filters does the cycle start again? does this make sense?

My 2 filters are Aqua-Tech Power Filters. The unit contains 1 bio filter that never gets replaced and gets swished around in a bucket of tank water occasionally.

The other filter is a carbon filter the carbon is in the back while the front of the filter has a thick blue polyfiber pad on it. Now, I've been reading here that carbon isn't a necessity but since this is what goes in my filter, I'm not going to change it.

Once a month, I put in a new filter (this is the one with the carbon) because the pad gets really dirty. When its not time to change the filter, I just swish it around in tank water as well (water in bucket). This is what the directions recommended that came with the filters. But really, by the time the month is up, you don't need directions to tell it needs changing, just looking at it does the trick :o it gets really yucky!