ph level

doch

ph water level when i test it out of the tap the solution is blue how do we keep it at that level in the tank after 2 weeks the clolour has turned light yellow this tells me the ph level has dropped and my clowns do not like it have lost 2 already :( all other of the ammonia and nitrate tests are fine

hi doch

i live in howick area as well and our tap water is around 7.6 to 7.8 and i have never had a problem with it droping,can you tell us what you have in your tank.not the fish but the substrate,plants, rocks, ect(whate type)

have you ever put any chemicals in the tank?

what is the time between water change ?

Umm :oops: ...I forget...how do check the pH in your tap water...do you have to let is sit in a cup for awhile or something?????

Only once in my 29 gallon did my pH go down under 7...it was when it was first up and running...started to add something I bought to increase it...STOPPED...soon as I read on here not to add chemicals...long story short...the pH in either tank...usually stays the same!

What are some of the reasons that would make a change in the pH?

You dont need to worry about the Ph level in your freshwater top up water.

If you want to raise it in the main tank, just add baking soda.

add 2 teaspoons per 300 litres and test after that.

YOU ARE TESTING FOR ALKALINITY, NOT PH.

iF YOU GET YOUR ALKALINITY TO 8 OR 10 DKH YOUR PH WILL BE PERFECT UNDER NORMAL CIRCUMSTANCES.

RUN YOUR SKIMMER ALSO AS AERATION RAISES PH TOO.

If you use Baking soda like that you will get a pH rise that could kill the fish.

IT MUST BE DONE SLOWLY.

Crushed shell in a canisterfilter will serve two purposes, and you'd have more water contact with the flow thru effect.

You cold also use an air operated corner box filter using the same medium, don't forget to put filter floss or similar over the top of the media to take out the heavy particulates.

Alan 104

Hi doch, I have a similar problem in that I think the wood in my tank for my pleco is lowering the PH. My tap water is also PH 7.5+ and the tank is usually PH 6.6 and my aim is to have it at 7.0. Went to my LFS yesterday and bought some oyster shell and a media bag for my Fluval external filter but the PH has not gone up yet in 24 hours?

See my topic posted about my PH and the comments made by others.