electricity

evilknieval69

hey guys

i am just wondering how many plugs i can have coming from one socket. i have three fish tanks and alot of plugs!!can i have one 6 way plug box plugged into the wall and another 4 way switch box plugged into it and have all remaining gaps full of plugs or will i need to have the second plug box coming from a different wall socket?? in other words can i have 9 different plugs coming from one wall socket or will i need to use two different ones?? i have included a pic that may help with what i mean

plugsf.jpg

thankyou

**EVIL**

:bounce:

well i have found i have a 55 w heater, 100 w heater, 11 w light, stingray filter 6w..... and another filter 240 w. this is what i have at the moment with another light and air pump and then another full tank setup to come (100 w heater, filter, light, air pump....)do you think i could do all this off one wall plug and several plugboards??

Thanks guys

**EVIL**

:bounce:

im running a 4 way plug with a two heaters (200W and 100W), air pump and filter, the other plug above it has a extenstion cord running to the other side of the room with a 4 way plug housing 2 large filters, a light and a 300W heater. all is fine so far but all the mulitplugs have circut breakers on them just in case, im very concious of the over load

Off a single plug outlet in the garage i have 6 x 4 way power boards running my 5 tanks, thats 3 x canister filters, 4 x internal filters, 3 x 300 & 2 200 watt heaters, 4 x lights consisting of 9 tubes, 1 air pump, 1 x pedestal fan, 1 x large fridge freezer, 1 x microwave and 2 x cell phone chargers and i have had no problems. Next place (fish room :lol: ) will be a much better setup but this works for now.

The circuit breakers in the powerstrips are usually junk, I had one that was tripping all the time with just a 1200 watt room heater and a PC on it, busted it open before I threw it out and the breaker was rated to 8 amps... go figure.

Anyway, a normal kiwi powerplug is pretty crap, if there is any corosion on the pins or the socket they will have higher resistance and get very warm. You can look at the plug but you have no idea what the condition of the wall outlet or the sockets in the plugboard are like. If its around high humidity you have even less certanty that the sockets are going the be ok. You can always change the wall outlet out for a new double one (assuming its your house) so you know that its in good condition.

When everything is running even if its well under the maximum check the plugs for being warm, pull them out and see if the pins are warm,

Apparanly one of the leading causes of housefires are the cheap nasty powerstrips being overloaded a friend was saying he was told when he went to do his electrical saftey cource for his work, I would believe that after having a couple of mine discolour around the pins when running largish things (microwave oven)

As an Electrical Inspector i would not recommend ever plugginbg a multi box into a multi box. The quality of multi boxes leaves a lot to be desired. A better option would be to change the wall outlet to a double and plug two multi boxes into the wall or even better install a 4 way outlet and do away with one of the multiboxes all together