moving house.

kimmy

Hi Kimmy, welcome to the NZ fishroom.

A lot depends on how far the move is, and if you can pre-prepare somewhere for your fish at the new place prior to moving in.

Ideally if you had a friend nearbye to hold your fish over till you got set up again... this would be ideal, but otherwise you may have a few probs.

What you basically do is bag the fish up with 30%air, and the rest water. Use good strong bags, and double bag, then inflate the inner bag with your air pump and twist both necks tight and fold over, then secure with a strong rubber band... check for leaks "before" you box them up.

If the move is a long one, pack them in styrene boxes... (Chilly bin is good) they will be ok for over a day if packed right and not overcrowded in the bags. Pack any spaces with screwed up newspaper.

You can leave the gravel in the tank... but remove rocks etc.

Save as much water as you can from the tank, and you will need to keep your filters (outside/inside/canister active, so if you are looking at a lengthy trip, it might pay to buy or borrow a battery air pump so that you can keep water flowing over them in a container of some sort with tank water in.

On arrival... fist job is get your tank level and set up, then put what water you saved in the tank and get the heater and filters running.

The tank doesn't need to be full at this time, but deep enough to keep the fish alive.

You can top up in stages once you get things organised.

The gravel will have taken a fair bit of sloshing around, and the active bacteria could be stirred up a bit and some could die, so you may have a cloudy tank for a while till you can start some regular water changes.

Don't panic in putting the fish in... they will be quite content if you leave them in the boxes undisturbed.. but if you open the boxes you could stress them, so leave them till your temp and things have stablized.

Get these things right first and your filters running, and then if things look good you can semi darken the room and add your fish. Leave the lights of the tank off, as plunging fish that have been in darkness a long time may not take kindly to the bright lights, so avoid stressing them.

Goodd luck with the move Kimmy... It's a job none of us like :)

Happy Days,

Bill (Pegasus)

Ring me Kim as I have a lot of 30 litre barrels. The fish won't need bagging and you can keep all the water as well. Various club members use these barrels to shift fish and water - it is what they are here for.

All you do is siphon the water into the barrels, catch and add the fish, move the tank, pour the water and fish back in. No plastic bags or polystyrene boxes required!

I'm moving again soon too :(

Last time I moved was nightmare (2 metre planted tank). Barrels are definately the go. For a large tank I would suggest to fill it with tap water once it is setup to test it. Mine deveoped a leak in the move so I had to empty it all again a few days after setting it all up again. I make my moves overlap by a couple days so I can setup my tanks....

Moving sucks.... unless you get more room for more tanks :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks for all the suggestions. My community tank moved without much stress due to using a smaller 2 ft tank and reusing the large tank water.Granted the new tank didnt cycle but the fish seemed quite happy. I lost 2 fish...one due to jumping out when I wasn't looking and the other ?

Now the community tank is doing great. Fish have never looked better and I even have a 2ft tank has all my guppys in it :)

All in all I am very pleased but I do not want to do it again!!

Happy moving to all of you who might have to over winter :( ...KIM