getting serious now!!... well for me

morgie

ok, i have just caught some really cool wild fish from a little creek not far from my home, cause we live on a hill, the water is quite cold but they got used to the neighbours pond quite quick and made friends with the gold fish :lol: i guy is selling me a 3ftr for $50 with undergravel filter and air pump!!

:bounce: :bounce:

i was wondering how i would set it up for native fish?? is it ok??

thanx, :hail::hail:

well try to get a photo tommorrow but i definately know they are not nasties cause they were getting on awesome with the gold fish... the creek is part of our land and neighbours but i dont know how they got there, exactly like a brown trout but have faded lines instead of spots, hope this helps

:bounce: :bounce:

Hi Morgie,

You ask:

i was wondering how i would set it up for native fish?? is it ok??

There are many fish types from various parts of the world.. but when they are kept in an enclosed environment the major rule is to try to emulate the natural conditions that the fish originated from... so it doesn't really matter if the fish are Marines.. or some mundane little thing that you found in a rock pool.. the same applies in all cases.

A bit of study on your part is needed here, so first I would check the stream they came from and try to establish the conditions they were living in.

Things to look for are...

Is it a weedy area with grass or plant growth..?

Is it a fast flowing area.. or do they hang out in the eddies and overhangs..?

Do they congregate around rocky areas..?

Do they tend to hide a lot in the darkened areas.. or do the swim out in the open..? (All important when setting your tank up with lights and such).

What is the pH of the water.. is it Alkaline.. or acidic..?

Do they school.. or are they loners..?

What are they feeding on.. live food, such as flying insects.. or foraging on the bottom..?

What is the average temp of the water... because a lot of keepers of native fish have probs keeping their water cool enough..?

As above... are you allowed to keep them and transport them, as they could come under the illegal fish catergory..?

If the water is a free flowing stream of decent water... then I personally would use that water to start off.. then if needed... gradually change the water to the type you have on hand.

If they are live food eaters.. they may be getting enough feed at the moment being in the neighbours pond.. but once inside they will need providing for.. so don't expect them to take to flake foods immediately.

Basically.. you will need to try to get the conditions as near as possible to their present surroundings.

HTH.. :)

Bill.

the neighbours pond has been recently cleaned and the fish have taken well to the water, we had our tap water tested a while ago and the guy said it was almost as pure as rain water, which is what they live in, you are right they do have cooler temps but are in the neighbours pond and act exactly the same... they slowly got used to the flakes (over a day :lol: ) and are eating them now but i have blood worms which should be appropriate, ill put a pic on later but will have to catch them first.

:bounce: :bounce: cheers for the head start

Hi Morgie

do your new fishies sort of look like this?

inanga.jpg

if so, you have inangas.

They used to live in a creek at the back of my old house in Glen Eden and I thought they were baby eels or something until I saw them in a pet store.

I'd love to know if that's what you have :)