Auckland Zoo

raeh1

Hey

I went there today.. and it finally looks like they are starting to put a little bit of effort into the marine tank.

Alot of work to go, to be like the tanks on this site but they now have about 5-6 different tangs, and a few types of soft corals.

They still need some invertibates and better lighting.. but a big improvement since last year..

I reaken give it a year or so and it will be impressive. thats if they put some more dollars into it.

Cheers. Apart from that the zoo is looking real good and they are getting cheetahs in March

• 8 months later...

Went there last week and didnt seem to be alot happening with there marine tank, but they had some seahorses which was good to see. i am organising a behind the scenes tour of the aquarium and reptile exhibits at Auckland zoo on the 25th of November. PM me if you are interested in joining us to see what gear the zoo is running

i cant remember the name of the place but its at the far end of flinders st, if you go to flinders station and turn left at the main entry/exit, probably easyer to catch the tram but its not a long walk, defenatly worth the entry fee, they have a cool shark enclosure in a large pond like tank that you view from the top.

see if you can find out what time feeding is, i went when it was feeding time (by pure luck) and it was very cool, divers feeding sharks (3 times the divers size) by hand.

when i was there their reef wasnt much to be amazed by, but that was a while ago. take some picks and post them here if you have time, it would be cool to see how there getting on.

im going to melbourne for work next week, whats the aquarium they got there? a mate went not too long ago said it was quite good

I went there a couple of years ago. It was xxxx. I was highly disappointed. I never bothered going back my recent trips over.

Layton

i cant remember the name of the place but its at the far end of flinders st, if you go to flinders station and turn left at the main entry/exit, probably easyer to catch the tram but its not a long walk

Yeah, King street, over the river from the Crown Towers.

Actually, the one redeeming feature I remember were the jellyfish tanks. They were interesting.

I went there 6 months or so ago, the jelly fish tanks are really cool. The reefs tanks have mainly just soft corals. They have a large circular tank with some nice reef fish, that also has sea snakes which is pretty cool. The main display is a massive tank, I think it is south pacific based has snapper, sharks etc.

IMO well worth a visit.