dumb question..... how you guys collect natural sea water???

Vjarn

just wandering cause it would be hard to bucket back and forth from the water to your car. how much at a time can you's collect, do you use pumps connected to car battery??? is it better to collect away from populated areas?? (just starting out into cold water marine)

Us North Shore guys get it at Takapuna boat ramp. Park right there so no carrying hassles.

Go at or shortly before high tide, when the wind is blowing offshore and sea flat. Needless to say, when the water is nice and clear.

Don't get it at B/head wharf or anywhere in the inside harbour, to much algae fuelling nutrients in it.

I use twenty litre buckets. Tried the twenty litre plastic gerry cans but they are a pain to hold under the water and take ages to fill up. I also have a rope tied to the handle of the bucket so i can lower it into the water. Have bought a bilge pump so hope to get this set up so i can pump the water straight into a 200 ltr drum.

Thats the plan anyway. Just hope the pump is up to the job

Pies and I fill up 3 x 60 liter drums and around 15 x 20liter and 25 liter gerry cans. all goes in the back of the ute. we just got a bilge pump, went halfs, was $30 each, best money I've spent in a long time. Now my new tank is up and running we will have to fill the above twice to do water changes! so am looking into a 500-1000 liter container for the ute.

As for collecting we use an old disused boat ramp, try for no rain for 3 days and incoming tide, but doesnt always work out like that